What Makes Education Abroad at CSB/SJU Unique:
- Ranked first nationally among baccalaureate institutions in semester-long study abroad programs, for three years in a row, according to the annual report on international education, Open Doors 2010, 2011, & 2012 published by the Institute of International Education (IIE).
- Nineteen semester-long study abroad programs in 15 countries on 6 continents.
- Over 50% of CSB/SJU students study abroad during their academic career. This represents 58 percent of CSB graduates and 41 percent of SJU graduates.
- Over one-third of CSB/SJU faculty have led study abroad programs.
- CSB/SJU offers over 200 courses with global and intercultural content.
- 10 percent of CSB/SJU faculty teach international languages
- Each year between 15 and 30 recent graduates accept positions in Asia.
Our faculty-led Study Abroad programs and international campus ethos are the qualities that most distinguish us from other colleges. Our unique faculty-led program structure means that over one-third of our faculty have taught abroad. Their long term interaction with an international curriculum has laid the basis for a campus culture that highly values intellectual preparation for the 'global century'.
Using our own faculty to lead study abroad programs permits a high level of control over the quality of teaching and learning. This practice has also improved the quality and expertise of our faculty which, in turn, benefits all students throughout their four years at CSB/SJU. Having more than 16 faculty leading semester-long programs and 10-20 leading short-term programs every year helps the colleges forge and maintain strategic relationships with international institutions, revitalize contact with strategic alum populations, recruit international students, and develop research and academic partnerships with international faculty to internationalize the campuses.