The Record claims Best of Show award at newspaper convention
February 11, 2013
The Record, the award-winning student newspaper at the College of Saint Benedict and Saint John's University, won Best of Show in the four-year weekly broadsheet category at the 22nd annual Associated Collegiate Press' Best of the Midwest College Journalism Convention, held Feb. 8-10 at the Radisson Plaza Hotel, Minneapolis.
It is the third time in five years that The Record placed first in the category.
Student writers and photographers won individual awards as well.
- Evan Gruenes, a junior political science major, won first place for his news photo of the funeral at SJU of Cold Spring Police Officer Tom Decker;
- Joe Mellenbruch, a senior communication major and sports editor, placed third for his news story about the retirement of SJU football coach John Gagliardi;
- Chris Heitzig, a sophomore philosophy and economics major, placed third for single page design for his variety page submission;
- Ellen Newkirk, a senior communication major and opinion/editorial editor, took fifth place for her news story about students taking pieces of old football turf as memorabilia.
- Jill Yanish, a senior communication major and managing editor, was one of four editors chosen to speak at the editors' roundtable at the conference.