NCUR student list 2013
Here is a list of the 18 College of Saint Benedict and Saint John's University students who will be presenting their research at the National Conference of Undergraduate Research April 11-13 at University of Wisconsin-La Crosse.
The students presenting their research individually are listed alphabetically:
- SJU senior Benjamin Carlson from St. Joseph, Minn., presenting "Lending a Farm Hand: Assessing the Challenges Facing Beginning Farmers in Minnesota." His adviser is Jean Lavigne, associate professor of environmental studies at CSB and SJU;
- CSB senior Feiran Chen from Chengdu Sichuan, China, presenting "Heterosexual Romantic Relationships and Mate Preferences in College Students from the U.S. and China: Cross-Cultural and Gender Differences in Beliefs and Attitudes." Her adviser is Steve Stelzner, professor of psychology at CSB and SJU;
- CSB senior Paidamoyo Chikate from Bulawayo, Zimbabwe, presenting "Africa and Women's Literature - Women's Writing as a Platform for Political and Social Emancipation in Zimbabwe and South Africa." Her adviser is Madhu Mitra, professor and department chair of English at CSB and SJU;
- CSB sophomore Nicole Cornell from Schofield, Wis., presenting "Congregational Attendees' Exposure to Social and Political Messages in Sermons: Examining the Effects of Religious Tradition, Personal Interest, and Community Context." Her adviser is Chris Scheitle, adjunct assistant professor of sociology at CSB and SJU;
- SJU senior Andrew Humbert from St. Cloud, Minn., presenting "Angiogenic Blockade with Bevacizumab Does Not Increase Response to Low Dose Dexamethasone and Lenalidomide in Relapsed or Refractory Multiple Myeloma." His adviser is KyungMann Kim, professor of biostatistics and medical informatics at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- CSB senior Kelsey Koch from Farmington, Minn., presenting "Matter Over Mind: Comparing Emotional Self-Regulation Techniques with Ego Depletion." Her adviser is Michael Livingston, professor of psychology at CSB and SJU;
- SJU senior Adam Liske from Elkhart, Iowa, presenting "Saving Lives: A Case Study of Emergency Medical Services in San Diego, Calif." His adviser is Ken Jones, professor of history at CSB and SJU;
- SJU senior Sean Murphy from Sunfish Lake, Minn., presenting "Send him Home: The Effect of Kinesthetic vs. Visual Imagery on Putting." His adviser is Steve Stelzner, professor of psychology at CSB and SJU;
- CSB senior Reanna Nelson from Brooklyn Park, Minn., presenting "Exploration of Modern Portraiture." Her adviser is Elaine Rutherford, associate professor and chair of the art department;
- CSB senior Paige Olson from Plymouth, Minn., presenting "Does Nature Make Us Healthier? An Evidence Based Review." Her adviser is Marcus Webster, professor of biology at CSB and SJU;
- CSB senior Maria Stevens from Rochester, Minn., presenting "Treatment Efficacy of Exposure Therapy and Mindfulness Meditation on Physiological and Self-Perceived Measures of Stress on a Certain Public Speaking Task." Her adviser is Michael Livingston, professor of psychology at CSB and SJU;
- SJU senior Ryan Wold from Brooklyn Park, Minn., presenting "Campaign Finance Ethics: It's an Oxymoron." His adviser is Claire Haeg, associate professor of political science at CSB and SJU.
Four students are presenting research on "Pre-Service Teachers, Classroom Teachers and Education Faculty: A Professional Development Collaborative." Their adviser is Michael Borka, associate professor of education at CSB and SJU. The group includes:
- CSB junior Leah Christensen from Waconia, Minn.;
- CSB junior Janie Driver from Eden Prairie, Minn.;
- CSB junior Alice Foran from Brainerd, Minn.;
- CSB junior Rachel Michealis from Monticello, Minn.
Two students are presenting research on "Preferred Vegetation Characteristics of the Southern Flying Squirrel." Their adviser is Kristina Timmerman, instructor of biology at CSB and SJU. The group includes:
- CSB junior Steph Noyes from Marshall, Minn.;
- CSB senior Hannah Von Arb from Hermantown, Minn.