CSB/SJU Chamber Choir ends tour with March 8 campus concert
February 2, 2010
The College of Saint Benedict/Saint John's University Chamber Choir will perform 12 concerts in Minnesota, Iowa, Kansas, Texas and Oklahoma as part of its 2010 Spring Tour Feb. 24 to March 8.
Under the direction of Axel Theimer, the 50-voice Chamber Choir is the select mixed-voice touring ensemble at CSB and SJU. This year's performance will include compositions by Benjamin Britten, J.P. Sweelinck, Sergej Rachmaninoff, Eric Whitacre, Pablo Casals, Edwin Fissinger, Moses Hogan and Eric Barnum.
Admission to all concerts is free. However, free-will donations are welcomed and will help defray travel expenses.
The tour schedule is as follows:
- Wednesday, Feb. 24, 7:30 p.m., Sts. Peter and Paul Catholic Church, Richmond, Minn.
- Thursday, Feb. 25, 7:30 p.m., Chapel , Loyola High School Campus, Mankato, Minn.
- Friday, Feb. 26, 8 p.m., St. Pius X Catholic Church, Urbandale, Iowa
- Saturday, Feb. 27, 8 p.m., St. Patrick Catholic Church, Wichita, Kan.
- Sunday, Feb. 28, 7:30 p.m., St. Maria Goretti Catholic Church, Arlington, Texas
- Monday, March 1, 7 p.m., Sts. Peter and Paul, New Braunfels, Texas
- Tuesday, March 2, 7 p.m., St. Francis of Assisi Catholic Church, San Antonio, Texas
- Thursday, March 4, 7:30 p.m., Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Wichita Falls, Texas
- Friday, March 5, 7:30 p.m., St. Francis of Assisi Church, Oklahoma City, Okla.
- Saturday, March 6, 7:30 p.m., St. Joseph's Catholic Church, Leavenworth, Kan.
- Sunday, March 7, 4 p.m., Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Owatonna, Minn.
- Monday, March 8, 8 p.m., Great Hall, Saint John's University, Collegeville, Minn.
The Chamber Choir has been in existence since 1970, when Theimer joined the music faculty at CSB and SJU. Until then, students of the two colleges had participated in either the SJU Men's Chorus or the CSB Campus Singers. Today, the Chamber Choir is one of the major touring ensembles of the CSB/SJU music department.