Dennis Alexander Piano Festival and Competition-November 21, 2015
Since his affiliation with Alfred Music Publishing Company in 1986 as a composer and clinician, Dennis Alexander has earned an international reputation as one of North America's most prolific and popular composers of educational piano music for students at all levels. Professor Alexander retired from his position at the University of Montana in May 1996 where he taught piano and piano pedagogy for 24 years.
Upon moving to California, he taught privately, in addition to serving on the faculties of Cal State Fullerton and Cal State Northridge. He currently lives in Albuquerque, NM where he maintains an active composing and touring schedule for Alfred Music Publishing Company.
About the Competition and Festival
The Dennis Alexander Piano Festival and Competition is an event designed to bring students together for a variety of activities to participate in and observe. It will be held November 21, 2015, at Saint John's University, Stephen B. Humphrey building. Funding for the Festival and Competition is made possible through the generous support of the Central Minnesota Arts Board and the College of Saint Benedict/Saint John's University.
There are three activities for students to "opt-in" for participation. Students can elect to enter any or all.
- Prize money awarded for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places for each level
- "Best performance of a piece by Dennis Alexander" awarded for each level
- Certificates and judges' comments for each participant
- A piece of signed sheet music by Dennis Alexander for each participant
- Mini-recital of competition winners will take place in the SBH theater immediately following the winners announcement
Festival - Repertoire Workshop
- Students bring any piece of music "as is" and receive practice tips, musical suggestions, and encouragement to assist in their continued study of music from CSB/SJU piano faculty
- "As is" really is what we mean! This workshop is about sharing ideas, exploring practicing and feeling motivated to keep learning
- Students will be in small groups during the workshop so everyone can learn from hearing other repertoire and musical suggestions
Festival - Dennis Alexander Creative Workshop
- Not to be missed! Mr. Alexander is an enthusiastic champion of the piano and music! Although the focus will be geared towards students, all ages will find his demonstration to be inspiring
"New" in 2015
Students who wish to experience all three events will be able to do so within a shorter block of time. Students will register for one of three categories, based on their level of repertoire and experience (there is no age requirement for each category).Each category will have its own competition, repertoire workshops and Dennis Alexander creative workshop for students to elect to participate in. Students enter divisions categorized by level:
Category 1 students (Elementary to Late Elementary repertoire level) will be scheduled for the morning
Category 2 students (Early Intermediate to Intermediate repertoire level) will be scheduled for mid-day to mid-afternoon
Category 3 students (Late Intermediate to Early Advanced repertoire level) will be scheduled for the late afternoon/early evening
Dennis Alexander Creative Workshop – Each workshop will end with a short “parents only” session with Mr. Alexander and a “students only” session with college music students.
How to Register
Determine which Category to select based on level of repertoire the student is performing. Please register for only ONE Category.
Select which of the three events the student would like to participate in on the registration form.
Submit registration form along with $25 fee online or by mail before Nov. 2., 2015.
The fee is $25 per student. Students select their activities on the application. We encourage students to participate in as many activities as they want to experience. When students are not participating in an event they can observe other events, practice piano and interact with other young pianists. Family members and teachers are encouraged to observe.
Registration Deadline- November 2, 2015
Upon registering, students will be sent an individual schedule no later than one week before the event.
Dr. Amy Grinsteiner, 320-363-3375 AGrinsteiner@csbsju.edu
Dr. Ed Turley, 320-363-5797 ETurley@csbsju.edu
This activity is made possible, in part, by the voters of Minnesota through a grant from