Dennis Alexander Piano Festival and Competition-October 18, 2014
Since his affiliation with Alfred Music Publishing Company in 1986 as a composer and clinician, Dennis Alexander has earned an international reputation as one of North America's most prolific and popular composers of educational piano music for students at all levels. Professor Alexander retired from his position at the University of Montana in May 1996 where he taught piano and piano pedagogy for 24 years.
Upon moving to California, he taught privately, in addition to serving on the faculties of Cal State Fullerton and Cal State Northridge. He currently lives in Albuquerque, NM where he maintains an active composing and touring schedule for Alfred Music Publishing Company.
About the Competition and Festival
The Dennis Alexander Piano Festival and Competition is an event designed to bring students together for a variety of activities to participate in and observe. It will be held October 18, 2014, at Saint John's University, Stephen B. Humphrey building. Funding for the Festival and Competition is made possible through the generous support of the Central Minnesota Arts Board and the College of Saint Benedict/Saint John's University.
There are four activities for students to "opt-in" for participation. Students can elect to enter any or all.
- Prize money awarded for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places for each level
- "Best performance of a piece by Dennis Alexander" awarded for each level
- Certificates and judges' comments for each participant
- A piece of signed sheet music by Dennis Alexander for each participant
Festival - Collaborative Duet Workshop and Performance
- Students learn a duet before attending the workshop from list provided
- Students work with college musicians in rehearsal to prepare for a performance
- Studio playing with multiple duet duos and supportive studio class atmosphere
Festival - Repertoire Workshop
- Students bring any piece of music "as is" and receive practice tips, musical suggestions, and encouragement to assist in their continued study of music
- "As is" really is what we mean! This workshop is about sharing ideas, exploring practicing and feeling motivated to keep learning
Festival - Dennis Alexander Performance and Composition Demo
- Not to be missed! Mr. Alexander is an enthusiastic champion of the piano and music! Although the focus will be geared towards students, all ages will find his demonstration to be inspiring.
The fee is $25 per student. Students select their activities on the application. We encourage students to participate in as many activities as they want to experience. When students are not participating in an event they can observe other events, practice piano and interact with other young pianists. Family members and teachers are encouraged to observe.
Registration Deadline- October 1, 2014
Upon registering, students will be sent an individual schedule.
Dr. Amy Grinsteiner, 320-363-3375 AGrinsteiner@csbsju.edu
Dr. Ed Turley, 320-363-5797 ETurley@csbsju.edu
This activity is made possible, in part, by the voters of Minnesota through a grant from