Reserves are library, media or an instructors' personal materials that have been placed at the Circulation/Media desk for easy access. Faculty also have the option of having photocopies entered as an E-Reserve, allowing the items to be accessed and viewed online. Reserve materials at the desk have a much shorter check-out period, usually 2 or 4 hours.
Table of Contents
Finding material that has been put on Reserve via MnPALS
- Click on Course Reserves
- TYPE in box to begin your search.
- Search by title, author, instructor.
- The title will designate if the material is also available electronically.
- Click on title.
- The Electronic Link is located at the bottom of the screen.
- For material housed at the Circulation/Media desks note its call number and location (under Lib/Items.)
- Give the Reserve Number and your ID to the Circulation/Media Desk attendant.
You must have your ID to check out Reserves. Reserves checked out to students must stay in the library. There is a fine of $1.00 for every two hours that a Reserve item is overdue.
Putting material on Reserve
- Fill out a Reserve Request Form, which is available online or at the Circulation/Media desks, and bring it and the item(s) to the Circulation/Media desk at least 48 hours before it needs to be available to your students.
Reserve material is indexed on the MnPALS Reserve subsystem by instructor's last name, author and title. Information is taken directly from the Reserve Request Form. The form should be filled out completely and in conformity with your class syllabi, bibliographies and other class assignments. All material will be given a four hour loan period.
- Reserve materials are protected by copyright laws. Consult the Libraries' page on Copyright Sources. These sources can help you decide what needs copyright permission and how to obtain it. Keeping copyright law is the responsibility of the person placing the items on reserve.
- Tell your students when they can expect to find it on Reserve, and if not an E-Reserve at which library.
Tell them to look here: in MnPALS; or to ask at the Circulation/Media desk for assistance in finding things on Reserve.
- Remind them that they will need the RESERVE NUMBER and their ID to check out Reserves that are housed at the Circulation/Media Desks. For E-Reserves they may need to provide their network username and password.
- Materials may be removed by the instructor at any time during the year. Otherwise reserve material will be removed by the library staff at the end of the each semester and summer Graduate School.
- If you have any questions, please contact Bev Ehresmann at Alcuin Library (2120) or Colleen Nelson at Clemens Library (5604).