Student Technology Resources
CSB/SJU Student Technology Resources
Information Technology Services (IT Services) is pleased to provide computing support for students of the College of Saint Benedict and Saint John's University. This information on this page summarizes the services available on the CSB/SJU campuses.
- Every classroom and lab is wired, providing students and faculty with technology applications to enrich their educational experience.
- A wide array of academic and discipline-specific software is available in classroom and lab settings and available using Citrix from personally-owned computers on and off campus.
- Nearly all classrooms and selected laboratories are equipped with presentation technology to enhance learning.
- Wireless access is available in all classrooms.
- Most academic buildings have at least one "lab on wheels" portable notebook PC lab.
- Many faculty use the Moodle course management system to post course resources online.
Virtually all resources and services of the CSB/SJU libraries are available online, via the campus network and Internet. Any networked PC can access these services, such as the library catalog, periodical indexes and on-line articles.
- The library catalog, course reserve listings, research databases, full-text journals and electronic books are all available online via the Internet.
- The CSB/SJU libraries deliver journal and magazine articles electronically that are obtained from other libraries via interlibrary loan. No fee is charged for interlibrary loan, except in some specific cases. Books from other libraries can be borrowed in this same manner, but must be returned when due.
- The library reference staff is available via e-mail, online chat, in person and by phone during posted reference hours.
Multi-Media Electronic Support Services
CSB/SJU provides opportunities for students to work with multimedia, such as video and audio.
- Media Services has video/audio studios that are available for student use.
- Scanners are available for student use in the Clemens and Quad labs.
- Most computers available for student use are equipped with CD/DVD burners.
- There are digital media labs, located on each campus, that allow students to edit and create video in a class setting.
Managing your personal information
- All student administrative information such as registration, drop-adds, student billing, library services, viewing and printing unofficial transcripts, checking degree progress, online bookstore purchases, etc. are web-based and accessible from any location via the Internet.
- Food services, the bookstore, and the libraries use an ID card for purchases and checkout. The same cards work for building access on both campuses.
- The CSB/SJU school catalog, including course descriptions, degree requirements, and academic policies, and the semester/term schedule of classes is available online at www.csbsju.edu/registrar.
- Financial Aid can be applied for online at http://www.csbsju.edu/FinancialAid/ApplyingForAid.htm.
Accessing computer services
- The majority of the workstations on the CSB/SJU campus are Microsoft Windows-based. The fine arts departments use Macintosh computers and there are a few other Macs located around the campuses. CSB/SJU has Linux workstations, which are used in Computer Science and some of the natural sciences. This discipline-determined computing platform selection reflects the real-world setting. (CSB/SJU university-owned computers breakdown: 94% PCs, 6% Macs)
- Students who do not have a personal computer in their room will usually have close access to a computer in a computer cluster in their residence hall. Residence hall computer clusters are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Computer Access Areas are open and accessible when students need them. The Quad Computing Center located at SJU and the Clemens Computing Center located at CSB are open until 1:00 am on most days.
- The Computer Access Areas are staffed at all times with well-trained student workers who are available to assist students.
- CSB/SJU has one network that serves both campuses.
- Students can customize PC screens to their liking and those same settings will follow them to any other networked institutionally-owned PC.
- Students are given 400 MB of network storage space for personal documents. This data is backed up nightly and is accessible from any computer on or off campus as long as the computer has an Internet connection.
- CSB/SJU's e-mail application is Microsoft Outlook. Each student is allocated 1 GB of storage for their mailbox. Outlook is accessible via any web browser from any computer connected to the Internet.
- Wireless access is available in every building on both campuses.
Connecting with others
- Contact information for students, faculty and staff is accessible online from any computer on campus with an Internet connection.
- All student organizations and clubs have access to web space to post information online.
- CSB/SJU Career Services provides an array of helpful information available online at (www.csbsju.edu/career). Students can:
- Learn what CSB/SJU alums are doing by reading our Alum Profiles.
- Explore "What Can I do with a Major in...?" to gather ideas about future career options.
- Research various occupational areas to find out more about the job duties, education needed, salary, etc.
- Use the "How To..." section to learn about preparing resumes, interviewing techniques and other tips.
- Utilize E-link to browse/apply for internships/summer jobs/jobs.
- Check out the Calendar for upcoming career panels/events.
- View online workshops and podcasts (i.e. Career Spots) on a variety of topics related to creating a resume, researching graduate programs, setting up a job shadow, and more!
Read Career Buzz for helpful tips as you think about majors, future careers, internships, graduate school and more!
Services and Support
- The technology fee entitles each student to have access to an e-mail account, file storage space, printing, support, network connection in room, IT Services training, etc.
- CSB/SJU has a 100 mbps network connection available for every student in the residence halls (connection cables are provided free of charge).
- Access to most discipline specific applications is available on students' personal computers.
- Information Technology Services provides training workshops on many of our popular software applications. Workshops are scheduled to accommodate class schedules and are offered in the evenings as well. There is no additional charge for these workshops.
- Every networked PC, Mac and Linux workstation is connected to the Internet at all times. Student-owned computers connected to the network also have a continuous connection to the Internet.
- Laser printers are available in every access area. CSB/SJU uses print management software to help manage the costs of printing on campus. Each student will have a $25.00 credit applied to their student printing account at the beginning of each semester. This credit is equivalent to 500 single-sided pages at $0.05 per page or approximately 830 double-sided pages at $0.06 per page. To facilitate the conservation, the faculty are encouraged to allow submission of class papers electronically rather than on paper.
- CSB/SJU has wireless access zones in every building on both campuses. CSB/SJU uses the IEEE 802.11b/g wireless network standard to allow users to connect to the network from wireless access zones on campus. For details check out the Wireless Access Information.
- CSB/SJU has a Gigabit network backbone. This allows high availability to the data and applications on the network servers.
- Network connections (both wired and wireless) are available in all residence hall rooms and provide connectivity to the Internet and network resources for student-owned PCs and Macs, 24 hours-a-day.