Please update your web browser or disable Compatibility View.
Intercultural and International Student Services


F-1 Visa holders who come to the United States to study should have sufficient financial resources so that they will not have to work. However, most students have an on work award which allows them to work on campus.

Work Eligibility for F-1 Student Visa Holders

  • You can work on either the CSB or SJU campus without authorization. The job must not interfere with your academic work. The typical hours a student works each week is 5-6 or 10-12.
  • Students may work as part of practical training. Please see CPT or OPT.
  • Due to economic problems in home countries or unforeseen changes in circumstance, some students may want to consider working off-campus. Immigration regulations are strict in regard to employment and if you need or want to work off-campus, please contact the Director of Intercultural and International Student Services. You will have to apply for permission to work off-campus due to Severe Economic Hardship.

How to Find a Job

  • On-Campus. You can view job listings on the student employment website Students are encouraged to start their job search as early as possible.
  • Off-Campus. International students are not permitted to work off campus except for certain circumstances. Please contact the Director of Intercultural and International Student Services for the proper work documents.

Off-campus Volunteer Experience

Many F-1 visa students participate in volunteer experiences while studying at CSB/SJU. A volunteer experience is participation in a program or activity that will provide aid or help to various groups of people or animals in need of assistance. If the volunteer experience is related to the F-1 field of study, then the student should contact Intercultural and International Student Services to apply for CPT.