Sister Renée Domeier Scholarship for CSB Spanish Majors
The Sister Renée Domeier Scholarship for Spanish is available on an annual basis for Hispanic Studies majors enrolled at the College of Saint Benedict. Applications are accepted in the spring and are open to CSB majors who will be juniors or seniors the following fall. Recipients are chosen on the basis of scholarship, strength of academic purpose, and financial need (determined by consultation with the Financial Aid Office). The scholarship amount varies from year to year and are typically divided among the top three recipients.
Begin with a letter to the Sister Renée Domeier Scholarship Committee stating your professional goals, (approximately one page, in English). Include with the letter the following information in Spanish:
I. A one-page Vita that includes or lists:
- The name of your current Hispanic Studies advisor
- Any activities that promote Spanish within CSB/SJU, such as Resident Director of the Spanish floor, officer of the Spanish Club, etc.
- Any extra-curricular activities: travel, professional affiliations, jobs, hobbies, clubs, etc.
- An unofficial copy of your transcripts
II. A one-page explanation stating the reasons you should be the recipient of this scholarship and ways you intend to help promote Spanish language studies on campus.
The criteria the Committee will follow in selecting the scholarship recipients are:
- ONLY THOSE APPLICATIONS THAT ARE COMPLETE AND FOLLOW THE GUIDELINES WILL BE CONSIDERED.
- The scholarship amount may be shared among up to three applicants.
- Award recipients will be expected to promote Spanish language studies on campus. Examples of activities might include sharing experiences from study abroad, actively participating in Spanish Club and language floors, and helping to organize or participate in Spanish-sponsored events on campus.
Finalists may be interviewed by members of the Department of Hispanic Studies. If there is a tie, the financial need of each applicant, as provided by the Financial Aid Office, will be taken into account.
Applications are to be submitted by email attachment to [email protected]. Application deadline is TBD each year. Applicants are notified by early-April. Contact Mary Niedenfuer at [email protected] for more information.
Renée Domeier, OSB has been a Benedictine sister for over 60 years. She taught Spanish language and literature at CSB/SJU for 25 years, and most of her time still revolves around the Spanish language and peoples. She founded Casa Guadalupe, a hospitality and resource center, in 1997 and continues to respond to and visit families through that organization. She helps individuals who ask either for tutoring in Spanish or help in editing, translating or proof-reading Spanish and is always open to students who may need consultation about projects, trips, etc. S. Renée also write blogs for St. Benedict's monastic blog site, creates radio clips for the sisters' community outreach through the Albany radio station, and works with the archival collection of oral histories of the sisters.