What can I do with a Major in Gender and Women's Studies?
CSB/SJU Gender and Women's Studies majors and minors have gone on to occupy an assortment of careers based off skills and experiences obtained from CSB/SJU's educational facilities. Many of these fields have benefited from knowledge brought forth concerning advocacy, equality, and current issues with respect to gender studies. Examples of current jobs held by GWST majors are:
- Attorney for National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
- Marketing Assistant for National Museum of Women in the Arts
- Director-Women's Studies, DePauw University
- Grants Manager- The Women's Fund of Central Ohio
- Lobbyist for the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU)
Director of Communications at United Way
Below are useful job links to further search what one can do with a major in GWST:
- Feminist Career Center- Updates and job listing through email, or regular search of current jobs available along with feminist related internships.
- Feminist.com- Links to various related websites containing information and job opportunities in the field of Gender Studies.
- National Consortium- Directors of Lesbian Gay Bisexual and Transgender Resources in Higher Education. Lists current jobs within the United States for Gender related positions. The offerings are removed 60 days after initial posting.
Graduate School Programs
Continuous change in society's social norms has many universities broadening their higher education possibilities by adding graduate programs and doctorates in such areas of expertise as Gender Studies. Below are websites that include links to universities across the Nation and world with such programs.
- Artemis-Search engine linking to universities across the United States offering Gender and Women's Studies courses and concentrations at both the undergraduate and graduate level.
- Smith.edu-Links to graduate programs in Gender and Women's Studies offered in the United States and worldwide.
- Akamai University-Links to Akamai's Master of Science in Human Sexuality page, which contains information regarding requirements and programs offered at the university.
- Simmons College-Located in Boston, Massachusetts this page contains information regarding the university's Masters Degree in Gender/Cultural Studies.
Gay Lesbian Bisexual and Transgender (GLBT):
- University of Maryland-Links to the GLBT graduate course offered by the college.
- US Department of Labor for Women- Includes statistics, articles, and general information regarding women in the workforce.
- Minnesota GLBT Education Fund- Links to known GLBT scholarships offered in the United States and Canada.
- National Gay and Lesbian Task Force Policy- Contains current issues, events, membership information, and general knowledge regarding GLBT.