IRS Data Retrieval for 2015-16 Academic Year
Parents and students are encouraged to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool in the Financial Information section of the FAFSA. This Tool allows you to retrieve and transfer your income and tax information directly from the IRS into your FAFSA. The IRS Data Retrieval Tool will be available 2 to 3 weeks after you file your tax return electronically OR 6 to 8 weeks after filing a paper tax return. (Note: If you owe federal taxes, the IRS will not process your tax return until payment is made.)
If you have already submitted your FAFSA, proceed as follows:
- Log into the student's FAFSA at www.fafsa.gov.
- Select "Make FAFSA Corrections" and proceed to the Financial Information section.
- In response to the question asking, "For 2014, have your parents completed their IRS income tax return?", select "Already completed".
- If you are able to answer "No" to each of the;Data Retrieval tax status questions, enter your PIN and click "Link to IRS"
- Complete the IRS Data Retrieval process to transfer parent 2014 IRS information into the student's FAFSA.
- Complete for both parent(s) and the student, if a return was filed.
- Sign and Submit the FAFSA
Unable to use the Data Retrieval Tool?
You may request an IRS Tax Return Transcript and submit it to the CSB/SJU financial aid office. Complete for both the parent(s) and the student, if a return was filed.
To obtain a tax return transcript use one of the 2 methods described below:
- Online at www.irs.gov
- Click on “Get Transcript of Your Tax Records" link •
- Select to retrieve your transcript ONLINE or by MAIL
- Be sure to request the “return transcript", not the “account transcript
- Call 800-908-9946
- Enter information as prompted
- Be sure to request the “return transcript", not the “account transcript”
Please note: If your FAFSA is selected for verification, your application will not be reviewed until the Data Retrieval process is completed or a tax return transcript is received.
College Of Saint Benedict
|Saint John's Univesity
Financial Aid Office
2850 Abbey Plaza
Collegeville, MN 56321
|(320) 363-5388||(320) 363-3664|
|Fax: (320) 363-6090||(320) 363-3102|
|email: firstname.lastname@example.org||email: email@example.com|