Professional Resources and Associations
- General Graduate School Information-List of things-to-do from CSB/SJU Career Services website.
- Graduate School Tips-Everything you need to know about Graduate School, from finding the right school, applying, interviewing and financing your education.
- MLA Guide to Doctoral Programs
- Council of Graduate Schools
For more information, contact the CSB/SJU Career Services Center.
- Pat Barlow graduated from SJU in 2010 with a degree in English and Psychology. He is pursuing his PhD in Evaluation, Statistics, and Measurement at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, where he evaluates the effectiveness of programs across all areas of higher education and serves as an editing, research, and statistical consultant for the physicians at the University of Tennessee Medical Center.
He writes, "I have used the skills I developed in the English Department at CSB/SJU more than any other set of skills I picked up at SJU. Being able to run the numbers on a program is one thing, but effectively articulating your findings in a way that is both professional and accessible to an audience is something no stats book can ever teach you. Furthermore, the knowledge of social and cultural issues I received through my English education has given me a completely new perspective on the policies and programs I am asked to evaluate. Without the skills I learned in English, I would not be nearly as marketable in my field."