Support for Faculty
How does the Service Learning Department support faculty?
- Seeks out appropriate, collaborative community partners
- Ensures that community partners are aware of service learning and how it is practiced at CSB/SJU
- Ensures that community partners are provided with course and student learning goals
- Coordinates community partners to present their projects at the beginning of the semester
- Coordinates community partners to attend and participate in reflection and discussion opportunities throughout the semester.
- Ensures that students are fulfilling the commitment to their project (most commitments include a consistent, semester-long project) monitored through posts on public folders. Public folders may be set up by the professor or by members in the Service-Learning Program by professor request. Content of post varies according to professor but should consist of no less than the date and time that a student was at an organization.
- Monitors posts for concerns and successes for posts that include objective accounts of work and/or reflection of their work.
- Facilitates and/or attends reflections in and outside of class. Assist professors in developing questions for reflection and discussion.
- Distributes service learning evaluations (to professors) at the end of the semester. The program will also provide representatives to proctor the evaluations if necessary.
- Informs professors when students are having difficulties or concerns with their projects.
- Contacts community partners to discuss students' progress throughout the semester and to work out solutions to issues.
- Develops and facilitates or hosts educational opportunities for faculty (Hop on the Bus, panel discussions, etc.)
- Writes grants for new service learning opportunities.
- Creates awareness of opportunities for faculty scholarship
- Creates awareness of educational opportunities including state and national conferences and the opportunity to present at conferences.