How Do I Apply?
Please be prepaired to submit the following via the online application to the right:
A statement of intent explaining student interest and type of community engagement work they desire, including potential placement sites if possible. We encourage all students to research and discuss ideas for site placements. Your statement of intent should explain why there is a need for this type of community engagement, how you could contribute, and how this experience relates to your goals.
- Resume indicating relevant paid and unpaid work/volunteer experiences, relevant class or other training, conferences or workshops attended, honors and awards, public talks or media involvement, and other skills such as languages or computer skills;
- Two letters of recommendation; Please send this link to whom you have chosen to write these letters.
- Essay exploring your service and leadership experience (500 words or less);
- Current unofficial transcript;
- OPTIONAL Brookings Program: 1-page essay outlining interest in a community engagement placement with Children's Museum of South Dakota OR ULC United Living Community, both located in Brookings, SD. These sites will have a housing option at no charge to the students. Museum: Help inspire children to learn and grow by providing high-quality learning experiences that last a lifetime. Opportunities exist in the following areas: education, exhibits, programming and events, and guest services. Applicants should have strong desire to work with young children, early childhood through age twelve. United Living Center: Plan and provide intergenerational programming. Support the mission by providing quality care and an educational environment that promotes the physical, intellectual, social, and emotional development of each child. Intergenerational setting includes activities where the residents of the nursing home and independent living facilities interact with the children. The Boys & Girls Club: The Boys & Girls Club of Brookings mission is to 'inspire and enable all young people, especially those who need us most, to realize their full potential as productive, responsible and caring citizens'. Through our three priority outcomes of Healthy Lifestyles, Academic Success and Character & Leadership, we are able to obtain our mission. As the Boys & Girls Club of Brookings continues to grow, we are building a stand-alone Teen Center as well as an Early Childhood Education Center. Through this expansion, many professional opportunities exist. Opportunities exist in the following areas: designing and implementing programs with the youth, human resources (management), marketing, designing and implementing special program events and much more!
- Interview with co-directors of the fellowship (following review of application, students will be notified) planning, and public relations.