Students who desire to become teacher candidates must apply for acceptance into a specific Teacher Education Program. Application is made to the Education Department during the sophomore year while taking EDUC 310. Applicants must submit the following materials to the Education Department secretary. An individual interview for formal acceptance will be arranged with the Director of Elementary Student Teachers (for K-6 and K-8 applicants) or the Director of Secondary and K-12 Student Teachers (for 5-12 and K-12 applicants), or a designated Education Department faculty member. The interview will take place only after all paperwork is complete and submitted, and must take place during the semester of enrollment in EDUC 310.
- A completed Education Department Application Form
- A completed Personal Data Form
- A signed letter of application (instructions given in EDUC 310)
- A completed Admission Requirements and Developmental Plan form
- Three (3) completed Recommendation Forms from faculty members (Note: one recommendation should be from your FYS instructor, one should be from an Education Department faculty member (or major department faculty member), and the third one should be from your EDUC 111 instructor).
- Signed supervisor evaluation forms from Service Learning experience and Teacher Shadow experience
- Writing Assessment: at least 24 out of 30 points on the Writing Assessment Portfolio completed in EDUC 111.
- Score report from the Minnesota Teacher Licensure Basic Skills (MTLE) exams
- High school transcript with scores from PSAT, SAT, or ACT included
- Evidence of Speech Proficiency
- College transcript(s) from CSB/SJU and all other institutions through which course requirements are met
- A recent photograph