Long Range Planning Process
As with Curriculum planning, the Teacher Education Council (TEC) and the Teacher Education Advisory Committee (TEAC) consider issues and concerns which can grow into plans with goals and objectives for short and long range. Our Administrative Handbook (#14) states that one of the responsibilities of the TEAC is to “evaluate the institutions’ program for the education of teachers and to stimulate its improvement.” Members from K-12, college, and Education, should “utilize findings and practical experience to suggest improvements in the teacher education program.” The TEC remains in charge of its planning goals.
Education Department: Long Range Plans
In addition to determining yearly goals, the Education Department attempts to look ahead to the next 3-5 years. As we look ahead we have established the following goals:
- Submit an ESL program to the Minnesota Board of Teaching for approval by July 1, 2006.
i. To implement ESL coursework in Fall 2006.
- Assist students in being able to reflect on how learning is enhanced by the use of technology.
- As we hire new faculty within the next 3-5 years, we must make a concerted effort to hire faculty of color.
Work with HR and Academic Affairs
- Increase the number of students of color in the teacher education programs
i. Work with Institutional Advancement to secure scholarships for students of color
ii. Work with Admissions to recruit students of color
- Examine our courses and teaching in view of the pluralistic models about which we instruct our students – May, 2006 Faculty Development Workshop with Jose’ Bourget
- Endowed Professorship and Individual Scholarship
- Discuss the role of the newly created Endowed Professorship (received September 2005) bestowed on the Education Department and determine how to implement it.
- Focus the pursuit of sabbaticals, faculty development opportunities and research release time.
i.Co-author and/or present research with teacher education students.
- Formulate a research agenda that reflects consensus of the Teacher Education Council (TEC) and Teacher Education Advisory Committee (TEAC) as to what we want to look for and hope to find in the next five years.
i.Consider topics of mutual interest to our partner K-12 schools and teacher education.