Intramural Floor Hockey Rules
Roster specifications and additions
- A team consists of 5 players, 4 players and 1 goalie. Goalie may be either a male or female. During regular season games and playoffs, there must be at least four players in order to play a game. These and only these combinations will be acceptable to play a game:
- 3 women/2men, 2 women/2 men, 3 men (one in goal)/2 women
- And BOTH teams must be in agreement if a team only has four players to play. However, this does not mean that the other team has to play with the same number of players-they proceed playing the game with the full number of players needed on the court/field. There will be NO exceptions (unless there is an injury during the game and the player cannot continue. Only at that time can a team proceed and not meet these combination requirements). Failure to comply WILL result in a forfeit.
- Rosters must consist of at least 5 members (3 CSB, 2 SJU), but no more than 9 members (5 CSB, 4 SJU)at any point during the season and/or playoffs.
- No more than three current academic year/season intercollegiate hockey players on a team roster of any combination. These are the only acceptable combinations for intercollegiate athletes:
- 3 CSB, 3 SJU, 2 CSB/1 SJU, 1 CSB/2 SJU
- All team members must have their name on the team roster by the last scheduled regular season game in order to be eligible to play during playoffs. No additions can be made after this point. It is the team captain’s responsibility to make sure that team rosters are updated prior to playoffs.
Checking in your team
All teams (at least 1 person from the team) MUST SIGN IN AT THE CAMPUS RECREATION DESK by their scheduled game time. Failure to do so will result in a forfeit. Each team must be on the court AND ready to play by ten minutes after their scheduled game time-ALL GAMES WILL START NO LATER THAN 10 MINUTES AFTER THEIR SCHEDULED TIME. Failure of a team not being on the court and ready to play will result in a forfeit. It is not the responsibility of the official/court supervisors to find teams to get their games going. It is the responsibility of the captain to make sure their team is on the court and ready to play.
- No outside equipment is allowed. All equipment will be provided by the Recreational Sports and Activities staff.
- The game will consist of three 10-minute periods, with 2 minutes between periods. The clock will run continuously during periods—except for injuries occurring, etc.
- There will be one 30-second timeout per period per team.
- The game will be called if a team is ahead by 10 or more goals with 5 minutes or less to play in the game (in 3rd period).
- DURING REGULAR SEASON, THERE WILL BE A 5 MINUTE OVER TIME PLAYED (NOT SUDDEN DEATH). If game is still tied after overtime, game will end in a tie. DURING PLAYOFFS, there will be a 5 minute overtime played if game is tied. If game is still tied after overtime, there will then be a five-person shoot-out. Five people from each team will get one shot from half court with a goalie present.
- Clemens Field House is the playing surface, and the entire court is in play. Out of play will be when the puck goes out or under the court divider curtains.
- The last team touching the ball before it goes out of bounds is called out—the opposing team brings the ball in.
- All goals made = ONE point. Teams must agree on goals. It is not the official’s job to determine the ruling of the call. This is an intramural league—play honestly, have fun!!
- Substitutions may be made throughout the game.
- The official will drop the ball at the start of each period. He/she will also drop it after a goal is scored. The ball is ALWAYS dropped at the center of the court.
- The goalie can only be switched when the clock is stopped—after a goal, etc.
- The goalie CANNOT wear any equipment that increases the size of his/her limbs. NO OUTSIDE EQUIPMENT-All equipment will be provided by the Campus Recreation Dept.
- Upon a goalie save, the goalie must drop the ball/puck at their feet and pass it with their stick to their teammate. No throwing of the ball/puck by the goalie is allowed.
- The goalie must stay within the goal area (behind the basketball free throw line). The goalie cannot play with the rest of the team.
- There will be NO penalties/penalty shots.
- There will be NO:
- Checking-purposely contacting an opponent in any way
- Tripping-with stick or feet
- No slop shots/high sticking above the waist.
- Slashing-intentionally striking a player with a stick
- Verbal abuse-any abusive language, acts, etc. directed at other players or official
- Throwing sticks-IMMEDIATE ejection from the game
- Fighting-constitutes IMMEDIATE disqualification of the team from the game.
IF THERE IS ANY SUSPICION OF DRINKING ALCOHOL PRIOR TO PLAYING, THE INDIVIDUAL AND/OR TEAM MAY BE ELIMINATED FROM THE LEAGUE.
**A team can only have three forfeits. A team will be ineligible for playoffs with forfeiture of a 4th game.