Center for Student Missions- Detroit, MI
Center for Student Missions- Detroit, Michigan
January 3rd-9th, 2016
Center for Student Missions (CSM) is a national organization with sites all throughout the United States. Their goal is to educate people on homelessness, poverty, and lack of education. CSM’s guiding principles include, “recognizing and addressing the issues inherent in cross-cultural ministry, including racial reconciliation, and economic inequalities.” Throughout the week, the group will serve with numerous organizations in Detroit with a goal of serving the area’s homeless, hungry, and impoverished residents.
What to Expect:
- Cost: Each ABE trip costs $375.
- Travel: The group will drive in a minibus to Detroit. The drive will take one day.
- Lodging: The group will stay at the Center for Student Missions housing site in Detroit in bunk beds.
- Food: Breakfast is typically cereal, lunch usually is sandwiches, chips, and a drink, and each night for dinner the group gets to experience a different ethnic resturant around Detroit.
- Work: The group works at a variety of external sites throughout the week which may include: Earthworks Urban Farm: urban gardens education, Detroit Rescue Mission: preparing food and cleaning the facilties, Mercy Team: hand out lunches and pray at a downtown park, and many other sites and opportunities.
- Extra Fun: This group gets the opportunity to receive a tour of the city and explore many of the unique attributes of this city rooted in deep history of music and cars.
- Focus: Social Justice, homlessness, and poverty.
Please note: $100 due with acceptance of a position!
Any questions about this trip can be directed to Alternative Break Experiences at firstname.lastname@example.org