February 28th- March 8th, 2015
Modeled after the CSB May Term trip to Ecuador, ABE offers a Spring Break trip to work with the indigenous community of Yambiro. We are able to continue the CSB/SJU relationship with the community in Yambiro as we work with them during our Spring Break. Last year's ABE trip spent the majority of the week working and playing with the children. They helped with recess, assisted in the classrooms, and held their own after school program where they taught Math and English.
"Ecuador is the perfect example of love and community living. To become so attached to a place in one week is truly extrodinary." ~ 2014 Participant
What to Expect:
- Cost: Each ABE trip costs $350. International trips have the added cost of flights. In the past flights to Ecuador have cost $925.70 (2013) and $801.56 (2014).
- Travel: The group will fly from Minneapolis to Quito, Ecuador and then take a bus to Otavalo. Each day they will bus to Yambiro for work.
- Lodging: Participants will stay in La Posada del Quinde in Otavalo
- Food: Breakfast and lunch are provided by the hotel and include some traditional local dishes. Dinner will be provided using SNAP funds.
- Work: Work will be varied depending on the needs of the site. Work will be done with the indigenous community of Yambiro. In the past participants have assisted the profesoras in the mornings with their students, built fences around gardens, and painted the building. In the afternoons they taught English and Math to the children at an after school program.
- Extra Fun: There are many fun things to do during your stay including hiking a waterfall or a sunken valcano, visiting a bird park, visiting the food and craft markets, and getting a cuy cleansing! The hotel staff is very helpful in assisting you with directions. Participants should bring extra money for taxis to these locations and to pay for the cost of these fun activities!
- Focus: Volunteering with the indigenous community of Yambiro in education, crafts, women's co-op, book drive, health, building, agriculture, etc.
Please note: $100 due with acceptance of a position!
Any questions about this trip can be directed to Alternative Break Experiences at firstname.lastname@example.org