United Saints - New Oreans, LA
New Orleans, LA
March 19th - March 27th, 2016
United Saints Recovery Project
Spend the week working in New Orleans, Louisiana with United Saints. United Saints is a grassroots, volunteer-based nonprofit organization working to help restore the homes and hearts of communities affected by natural disasters.
The mission of the United Saints Recovery Project is to assist communities that have suffered damage from natural disasters, helping residents return home, improve their quality of life and strengthen their communities. They do this with the help of local, national, and international volunteers, assisting homeowners in rehabilitating and rebuilding their homes, and engaging those homeowners in our effort to promote volunteer-ism within the community.
United Saints also hosts a community art program in New Orleans, involving local artists and community members in an effort to beautify and directly improve their environment.
What to Expect:
- Cost: Each ABE trip costs $375.
- Travel: The group travels from campus to New Orleans by van. The driving takes two days.
- Lodging: Housing is provided by United Saints Recovery Project.
- Food: All meals will be provided at the work site and at lodging during the week. The group will also get the chance to taste a variety of the delicious New Orleans' cuisine.
- Work: The week is spent rebuilding a home in the New Orleans area. Tasks may include painting, building, flooring, tiling, or landscaping. Other projects may include working with people with disabilities, working with local animal shelters, and working in community gardens. The nature of the work depends on the need at that time.
- Extra Fun: Evenings are free to explore the wonderful and vibrant city of New Orleans!
- Focus: Disaster relief, home repair, poverty, vulnerable populations, solidarity, community.
Please note: $100 due with acceptance of a position!
Any questions about this trip can be directed to Alternative Break Experiences at email@example.com
Special Points of Interest:
- Physical labor
- Disaster Relief
- Hands on
From Past Participants:
"The richness of the New Orleans culture was embodied in every person we encountered. I learned so much not just about the location, but about myself and my place in this world through my experience with United Saints."
- 2015 Participant
"The experience through United Saints highlighted the corruption in NOLA. The opportunities and resources people have vary so widely and have a huge impact on the outcome of people's lives."
- 2015 Participant
"New Orleans is a place where everyone belongs and deserves a chance."