San Lucas Mission, San Lucas Tóliman, Guatemala
San Lucas Tóliman, Guatemala
February 28th- March 8th, 2015
San Lucas Mission
At San Lucas Mission, participants will have the opportunity to immerse themselves in the Guatemalan culture, as well as build relationships with the community of San Lucas. Father Greg, a Minnesota native is the founder of the mission. Student work may include, but is not limited to the following: assisting in cooperative community projects such as helping with the reforestation project, sorting coffee, assisting families on their land, and helping to restore buildings that are in desperate need of repair.
What to Expect:
- Cost: Each ABE trip costs $375. International trips have the added cost of flights. In the past, flights to Guatemala have cost $814.45 (2013) and $764.40 (2014).
- Travel: The group will fly from Minneapolis to Guatemala. Once there, transportation will be provided by San Lucas Mission.
- Lodging: The group will be staying in one of the hotels near the mission during the week (See blue squares on map).
- Food: Meals are provided at the mission so you have the opportunity to dine with other volunteers and guests from the mission. They will include some traditional Guatemalan dishes.
- Work: Groups may be working in housing projects, reforestation, coffee bean processing, and more! Their work will be based on whatever the community's needs are at that time.
- Dress: Groups are advised to wear light cotton clothes. In the traditionally Mayan town, it is best to wear long shorts and skirts or pants and t-shirts. A light jacket and raincoat are recommended. Wear clothing that may get dirty!
- Extra Fun: Lake Atitlan is nearby although people may not swim in it, it is a stunningly beautiful view. The site is listed in the book 1,001 Places to See Before You Die. There is also an opportunity for an excursion across the lake to other towns, such as Santiago or Panahachel.
- Focus: Cross-cultural awareness, poverty, and Intentional Living
- More Information: Pre-Arrival Packet
Please note: $100 due with acceptance of a position!
Any questions about this trip can be directed to Alternative Break Experiences at firstname.lastname@example.org
Special Points of Interest:
- Spanish immersion
- Cultural diversity
- Fair Trade
From Past Participants:
" My trip to Guatemala was truly life-changing! I cannot think of another time in my life that I learned more about myself while immersed in a new culture!" ~ 2014 Participant
" The people of San Lucas live intentionally. They work hard not to waste anything. This can be easily applied back on campus by making sure I am only taking what Ineed from the Reef or Gorecki." ~ 2014 Participant