Fundacion Mahatma Gandhi, Las Terrenas, Dominican Republic
Las Terrenas, Dominican Republic
March 19th- March 27th, 2016
Fundacion Mahatma Gandhi works to better the quality of life of the people with whom they work, using suitable resources, in an authentic environment of continuous learning.
They focus on the following areas:
- Quality of life
Indicators for "quality of life" are: education, housing, health, family life, gainful employment, human rights, security, recreation, the environment, civic and political involvement and spirituality.
- Of the people with whom we work
They won't be able to have an impact on everyone, nor attract or benefit each person in the community. However, each person that comes to know about them and who participates in their activities becomes an integral part of their mission.
- Using suitable resources
There's neither a magic formula that can be employed in every situation, nor a recipe that fits against all evils. For that reason they will look for the best available resources that fit specific needs, to the best of ability and within the range of our possibilities.
- In an authentic environment
We carry out our mission without false pretenses or empty promises, trusting the good faith, honesty and integrity of our board members, partners, sponsors, participants and beneficiaries.
- Of continuous learning
We seek to regenerate ourselves continuously, seeking out the best methods, processes and alternatives, adapting our functions to changing conditions and contexts.
What to Expect:
- Cost: Each ABE trip costs $425. International trips have the added cost of flights. In the past flights to the Dominican Republic have cost $882.50 (2014) and $635.80 (2015). International ABE trips have the additional expense of $25 for an ISIC card. We require International Student ID Cards (ISIC) to all CSB/SJU students, faculty and staff traveling internationally on short-term programs. The Basic ISIC card ($25) is required to bridge the gap for emergency evacuation and repatriation insurance.
- Travel: The group will fly from Minneapolis to the Dominican Republic. A bus will pick the group up from the airport and bring them to Las Terrenas.
- Lodging: The group will either stay at Casa Paz, the volunteer house (La Villa Anderson), or an alternate guest house.
- Food: Meals are provided by the guest house and include some traditional local dishes.
- Work: Groups will be involved in various service opportunities in the community of Las Terrenas. Depending on the needs of the community during the group's stay and the needs of Fundacion Mahatma Gandhi, work could include: tutoring children between 6-15 years, classroom and library organization, small building and restoration projects, building basketball hoops for the community, leading sports activities, or teaching environmental education in the community. Participants will learn about sustainability, education, and issues the community of Las Terrenas faces daily. Be prepared for the physical nature of the work on this trip.
- Dress: It is best to wear light cotton clothes. Typicaly attire is gym shorts (appropriate length), t-shirts, and tennis shoes. Bring clothes you wouldn't mind getting dirty as you may be painting or doing small building projects.
- Extra Fun: There are beaches within walking distance and the water is always good for swimming. They have some of the best beaches in the Caribbean! Make sure to bring a lot of sunscreen and to drink a lot of bottled water. In recent years, groups have had the opportunity to hike into the mountains of the Dominican Republic including spectacular views and waterfalls, to go horseback riding and to learn Bachata dancing.
- Focus: Social Justice, Intentional Living, children, and poverty.
Please note: $100 due with acceptance of a position!
Any questions about this trip can be directed to Alternative Break Experiences at firstname.lastname@example.org