Colorado Vincentian Volunteers, Denver, CO
March 20th-26th, 2016
Colorado Vincentian Volunteers
Colorado Vincentian Volunteers is a community people committed to faith and action that responds to the Gospel call in the spirit of St. Vincent de Paul. They are young men and women who serve Denver's poor, elderly, homeless, developmentally disabled and troubled youth.
The ABE trip will be working through the Colorado Vincentian Volunteers program, serving at a variety of different sites, primarily focusing on issues such as homelessness and poverty. Some example things that the group will be doing are:
- Going to DenUM, an emergency assistance center in Denver where the participants will learn about issues that those who are poor face on a day to day basis.
- Serving at the Food Bank of the Rockies, a warehouse that distributes food to agencies
- Meeting and talking with the Coloado Vincentian Volunteers and learning about their experiences with their year of service.
- Working doing painting and repairing at Brothers Redevelopment, a nonprofit that repairs homes for low-income seniors and families.
- Working at Mt. St. Vincent Home with children with special needs
- Working at the St. Francis Center, a day shelter for men and women who are homeless
- Serving at Earthlinks, a place where people who are low income and homeless create sustainable crafts as a form of income
- Going to GrowHaus, a service learning project at a non-profit urban farm and education center
What to Expect:
- Cost: Each ABE trip costs $425. Souvenirs and optional excursions are individual expenses.
- Travel: The group travels from campus to Denver in a van. The driving takes one day.
- Lodging: Participants will be staying at Casa Karibu in Denver.
- Food: Some meals will be provided by the work sites. Any meals not provided by the work sites will be supplemented with funds given to the Co-Leaders following the SNAP Challenge.
- Work: Participants will be working at a variety of different sites (some examples listed above) learning about issues of homelessness and poverty in Denver and serving those populations.
- Extra Fun: Go hiking in the beautiful Rocky Mountains as well as getting to know the city of Denver.
- Focus: Homelessness and poverty
Please note: $100 due with acceptance of a position!
Any questions about this trip can be directed to Alternative Break Experiences at firstname.lastname@example.org