Please update your web browser or disable Compatibility View.

Sisters' Lodge

Sisters' lodge (2010)

The Sisters' Lodge (sometimes referred to as a Pavilion) was built in 1925-26. Situated in the Monastery Woods, the lodge is a place of peace for the Sisters who wish to stay there. It has all the necessary comforts "electricity, gas and water facilities," which have made it possible..."for the sisters to enjoy periods of relaxation during summer or winter."

 The following details about its history were provided by the St. Benedict's Monastery Archives:

1925-26 Original Construction

1962, May 12:  Chapter approved renovation of the pavilion to make it more serviceable for the sisters' recreational needs (winterizing and sleeping accommodations for 6-8 people)

1963(?) Renovations:

  • jacked up large east section, sawed off lower decayed area, installed block at bottom
  • removed several attached sheds at west end
  • new west addition
  • renovations to living room area, kitchen, small bedroom
  • installed fireplace 
  • water during summer months

1980 (Spring) Renovations:

  • installed electricity in all areas
  • converted small bedroom to bathroom
  • installed septic tank and drainage field
  • divided large east area into 3 rooms

2005 (Winter) Renovations

  • insulated wall of Main Lodge
  • energy-efficient windows
  • new carpet & linoleum, kichen cabinets, formica counters
  • new entrance doors, fireplace, wood box & storage

2006 (Winter) Renovations

  • finished 2nd room as bedroom; closed off south door
  • new picture window
  • installed baseboar
  • insulated all walls, ceiling
  • new carpet

Selected Bibliography

"The Benet," October 1964, Vol. 30 No. 1, p. 14