CAMPUS ALERT: Due to the weather, all evening classes at CSB and SJU are canceled. The LINK bus will run on its regular schedule until 5 p.m. and then every hour on the hour for the remainder of the evening, weather permitting. Pre-scheduled campus and community events and college/university sponsored events scheduled at off campus locations may continue at the discretion of the divisional VP.
The Chemistry Department, with the financial help of the National Science Foundation, is implementing a chemistry curriculum that will prepare students to learn and practice science in a modern world in which disciplinary boundaries are removed and collaboration and integration of disciplines is essential. Here are some of the innovative features of our curriculum, which has received approval from graduate, medical, DO and PT schools.
- An introductory, "atoms first" course which shows how chemical properties emerge from structure
- Integration of the five subdisciplines of chemistry into a series of new foundation courses
- A new model for a skiils and techiques-based chemistry labs with use of advanced instrumentation
- A problem-based learning pedagogy
- Expanded student choice of concentrations and in-depth courses
Here is a figure that shows how the content of our old and standard curriculum maps onto our new curriculum.