External Summer Research and Internship Opportunities in Chemistry
We have placed students at many of the sites below.
- Medical Scientist Training Program (MSTP) Summer Research Opportunities
- ACS Undergraduate Research and Internship Searchable database
- Pathways to Science: with searchable undergraduate summer research opportunities
International Summer Research
- ACS International Undergraduate Research and Internship Searchable database (search for it)
- International research opportunities by country
Chemistry & Materials Science
- NSF/REU Programs - Research Experience for Undergraduates, sponsored by National Science Foundation. These opportunities are available at various institutions around the country and international sites. International REU sites will sometimes hire graduated seniors. This program offers the largest single list of research opportunities available.
- National Institute of Standards & Technology - materials science and engineering.
- IBM-Almaden Program in Materials Science - The IBM Research Internship Awards program was established to promote diversity and develop access to a larger and more diverse group of outstanding candidates.
- University of Minnesota Lando Program
- University of Akron, College of Polymer Science - another area with very high employment rates. $6000 summer stipend!
- University of Minnesota LSSURP Program - Recent participants: Alissa Carrow '06
- NIH Summer Internships in Biomedical Research - National Institutes of Health.
- NIH Summer Clinical Research
- M.D.-Ph.D. Summer Undergraduate Research Programs
- More links for M.D.-Ph.D Summer Research Programs
- Cancer Research at Eppley Institute - Recent participants: Shawn Alderman '99, Francis Insaidoo '99
- Mayo Clinic
- Biomedical Research at Medical College of Wisconsin
- University of Texas Southwestern Graduate School
- University of Kansas, Pharmaceutical Chemistry Department
- University of Iowa, Department of Biochemistsry | Department of Chemistry
Summer Research Positions That Don't Require US Citizenship
If the summer internship includes any kind of compensation (salary, stipend, scholarship/grant, room and board, transportation, etc.) from a source other than Amherst College, the student may need to apply to the U. S. Government for "optional practical training" permission. Authorization process for obtaining permission for off-campus summer internships can take several months.
- Industrial positions - watch ACS website
- Macalester maintains a list
- Oak Ridge
- Baylor College of Medical Research
- University of Virginia Biomedical Research
- University of Akron
- Summer Undergraduate Research at Upstate Medical University
- University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences: Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) -
- Biochemistry Summer Research Program
- Maine Medical Center Research Institute - Summer Research Student Program
- University of Iowa - Carver College of Medicine - BSURF
- University of Colorado Cancer Center: Student Research Fellowship - Student Cancer Research Fellowship
- Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals (Ridgefield, CT) - Summer Internship
- University of Connecticut Health Center - Undergraduate Summer Research
- Medical College of Georgia - Summer Student Training and Research (STAR)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine: Summer Internship Program (SIP) - Basic Science Institute - Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine Graduate Programs
- University of Michigan - Cardiovascular Center Summer Research Fellowship
- Alvin J. Siteman Cancer Center: Summer Opportunities at the Siteman Cancer Center - Summer Opportunities Program -- Siteman Cancer Center St. Louis Missouri
- Gerstner Sloan-Kettering Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences - Summer Undergraduate Research Program
- New York University Medical Center: Emergency Medicine -
- Project Health Care
- Rockefeller University's Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) -
- The Rockefeller University - Application
- University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry - Summer Scholars Program
- University of Pennsylvania: Undergraduate Student Scholars Program - Penn Center for Molecular Studies in Digestive and Liver Diseases: Undergraduate Student Scholars Program
- Medical College of Wisconsin: Summer Program for Undergraduate Research (SPUR) - Summer Program for Undergraduate Research
- Pennsylvania State College of Medicine: Summer Research Program - Penn State Hershey Summer Research
- Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne) -Undergraduate Summer Research Program
- RISE Germany
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) , Oak Ridge, TN -
- Higher Education Research Experiences (HERE)
- Nuclear Engineering Science Laboratory Synthesis Programs (NESLS)
Energy, Environment, Planetary Science
- National Labs -Los Alamos, Sandia, Lawrence Livermore - semester and summer programs:
- Department of Energy- about a dozen sites around the country; research in energy and the environment.
- NASA - Goddard Space Center
- Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute
Related Corporate Internship Opportunities: