Career Assistant Job Description/Application
A Career Assistant in the CSB or SJU Career Resource Center provides direct service to students and alumni needing assistance in career research and exploration. Training is provided to give the Career Assistant a strong foundation in helping skills, programming skills and career research strategies. A work award is required for these positions.
Complete the Career Assistant Application Form, print and submit along with a copy of your resume to the SJU Career Center (SJU-Mary Hall 10).
CSB Center positions have been filled. SJU Center Application Form - Career Services (Spring 2017)
View Resume Samples | View On-Line Resume Workshop (approx. 8 minutes)
- Participate in on-going training throughout the year. This training is usually scheduled for an hour, approximately once a week.
- Assist students in finding appropriate information and resources related to their major/career decision-making.
- Assist students in using various assessment tools, resources, and the Career Services' homepage.
- Utilize social media and software (e.g. Photoshop, Publisher) to create promotional materials to market Career Services' programs to students, faculty, and campus community. Initiate and implement marketing strategies.
- Participate in the assessment and evaluation of Career Services' programs.
- Assist Career Services' staff in implementing various career programs/events.
- Work individually or as part of a group to initiate, develop, plan, and coordinate various projects related to events/topics such as:
Career Exploration Series
Workshops on career related topics (e.g. Internship/Job Search Strategies, LinkedIn, Major/Career Decision-Making, Thinking about Graduate School, etc.)
Conduct resume/cover letter critiques and practice interviews and provide feedback to students
Fairs/Info Sessions (greet and host employers)
Maintain and update information in the Career Center and on the Career Services' homepage
Develop and conduct residence hall programs
- Enjoyment of and ability to work with people; good interpersonal skills
- Willingness to learn new information
- Good communication skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy/planning and organization
- Self-motivation and initiative; ability to carry through on projects with minimal supervision
- Technology skills: social media, word processing, database programs
- Strong customer service skills
- Willingness to work independently and as part of a team
- Must be able to work approximately 2-hour shifts every day or every other day.
- Must be able to work some late afternoon shifts and evenings for programming.
- Must attend weekly hour-long training sessions.