Textbook Rentals Q & A
Q: How does the rental program work?
It's easy. You can rent your textbooks from us online or in the store. STUDENT ID IS REQUIRED to rent textbooks. At the end of the term, you return the book to the bookstore during finals week. You do not receive any cash back at the end of the semester when renting a textbook. If you don't return the book your tuition account will be charged the price of a used book.
Q: Is renting the textbook a better deal than purchasing it?
Renting saves 40% - 60% off the price. However, there is no clear cut answer to this question. It depends on the price given at buyback. In many cases the best thing to do would be to purchase a used book and sell it at buyback. It really depends on whether you want to save the money at the time of purchase or are more concerned with the overall price including what you get back at buyback. We offer you the option of purchasing the textbook new or used or renting it. It is up to you to decide which option best meets your educational needs.
Q: Why are not all books available for rental in the store?
- Many books are bundled with access codes or other materials and those are often not eligible for rental.
- Books used for more than one semester are not eligible for rent.
- Age of the textbook determines if it is a rentable title.
- Custom titles to CSB/SJU have no rental options
Q: Why should I rent from the bookstore versus going on-line?
- You receive competitive pricing - on-line is not necessarily a better price.
- You are guaranteed the correct book based on the order received directly from the instructor.
- You do not have to wait for the book to be shipped to you.
- You do not have to pay shipping to receive or return the book.
- You will receive top-notch customer service.
- Bookstore profits go to scholarships and campus improvements.
Q: What if I don't return the book or I want to keep the book for future reference?
If the book is not returned, your tuition account will be charged the full price of a used book.
Q: What if I lose the book or it is stolen?
Your tuition account will be charged the full price of a used book.
Q: Where do I return the book at the end of the term? Do I get any money back when I return it?
You return the book to the cash register at either campus bookstore. There is no money given back when you return it as you paid a smaller fee in the beginning of the semester, but you will get a receipt showing that you have returned the book.
Q: What if I drop the class?
Refunds must be made during our refund period at the beginning of each semester. Check dates on the return policy attached to your receipt for the dates.
Q: Can I write and highlight in the book?
Yes, limited highlighting and writing is acceptable.
Q: Do I need to return the exact copy of the book I rent?
Yes, at time of rental we will place a unique serial number on your book. Do not remove this serial number sticker. This serial number will be used to identify your rental record when you return the book.