Five things that set us apart
1. A UNIQUE PARTNERSHIP
Through a partnership of two of the nation’s top liberal arts colleges, the College of Saint Benedict (CSB) and Saint John’s University (SJU) create an educational experience unlike any other. Together, CSB/SJU offer the opportunities and choices of a large university and the individual attention and community of a premier small college experience.
CSB/SJU share one combined curriculum. CSB women and SJU men attend classes together on both campuses.
The two campuses are connected by The Link, a free and frequent shuttle bus service.
CSB/SJU are committed to the development of the whole person, meeting the unique needs of both women and men in single-gender and co-educational experiences.
2. A SENSE OF PLACE
CSB/SJU share two campuses located on 3,200 acres of lakes, woods, and prairie in central Minnesota—the campuses are perfect places for students to immerse themselves in their college experience.
3. A GLOBAL PERSPECTIVE
CSB/SJU are committed to global learning and connection—a commitment that extends across all four years of college and to experiences inside and outside the classroom, on campus and around the world.
- CSB/SJU rank second nationally among undergraduate colleges for the number of students who study abroad.
- More than 200 academic courses have an international component, and one-third of our professors have led a study abroad program.
- CSB/SJU enroll 175 students from more than 35 countries, creating a culturally diverse global experience on campus.
4. A CATHOLIC & BENEDICTINE TRADITION
CSB/SJU are part of a centuries-old Benedictine tradition—hospitality, community, stewardship and service to the common good are bedrock values expressed inside and outside the classroom.
- CSB/SJU are part of a Catholic intellectual tradition committed to openness, intellectual inquiry, and the lively engagement of faith and reason.
- The colleges share a commitment to ecumenism and inter-faith dialogue.
- Students put their values into practice through volunteer service in the local community and around the world.
5. A HERITAGE OF ARTS & CULTURE
CSB/SJU have a commitment to arts and culture—showcased in exceptional undergraduate art, music and theater departments, a vibrant performing and visual arts program, and remarkable resources for cultural study.
- The colleges’ performing and visual arts program attracts national and international talent, and routinely commissions performance works by highly acclaimed companies.
The Benedicta Arts Center of the College of Saint Benedict is one of the finest performing arts centers in the region. A newly-completed expansion has added even more rehearsal and performance space.
- Nearly all students live on campus or in the immediate neighborhood—providing opportunities for a highly engaged learning experience.
- A compelling sense of community shapes the college experience and creates a lifelong network of alums.
- Nearly all students undertake research, an internship, community service, or participate in campus organizations.