|Parents and students are encouraged to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool in the Financial Information section of the FAFSA. This Tool allows you to retrieve and transfer your 2014 income and tax information directly from the IRS into your FAFSA. If your FAFSA is selected for verification, your application will not be reviewed until Data Retrieval is completed.
IRS Data Retrieval Tool – AVAILABLE LATE FEBRUARY:
1. Log into the student's FAFSA at www.fafsa.gov.
2. Select "Make FAFSA Corrections" and proceed to the Financial Information section.
3. In response to the question asking, “For 2014, have your parents completed their IRS income tax return?”, select “Already completed”.
4. If you are able to answer “No” to each of the five Data Retrieval tax status questions, enter your PIN and click “Link to IRS”.
5. Complete the IRS Data Retrieval process to transfer IRS information into the student's FAFSA.
Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool for both the parent(s) and the student, if a return was filed.
Unable to use the Data Retrieval Tool?
You may also satisfy the verification requirement by requesting an IRS Tax Return Transcript and submitting it to the CSB/SJU financial aid office.
To obtain a tax return transcript, visit www.irs.gov, click on "Order a Return or Account Transcript" link, or call 800-908-9946. Be sure to request the "IRS tax return transcript", not the "IRS tax account transcript."
Timeframe for IRS Data Retrieval and tax return transcript requests:
(Note: If you owe federal taxes, the IRS will not process your tax return until payment is made.)
- If you electronically file your tax return, your income information will normally be available for Data Retrieval or a tax return transcript within 2 to 3 weeks.
- If you file a paper tax return, your income information will normally be available for Data Retrieval or a tax return transcript in 6 to 8 weeks.