The Accounting and Finance Department's mission is to educate accountants and finance professionals who are prepared for a dynamic and changing world. The mission encompasses two primary areas:
Goal 1: Technical Competence. Students will illustrate their competence in accounting, finance and other business skills appropriate to their academic and vocational goals by:
- 1.1: Demonstrating knowledge of the conceptual frameworks that form the bases of IFRS and US GAAP and their role in the development of accounting policy;
- 1.2: Demonstrating proficiency in the application of accounting principles and procedures through the study and use of accounting policies and procedures;
- 1.3: Demonstrating proficiency in gathering and analyzing financial data through the use of technology; and
- 1.4: Demonstrating proficiency in the application of accounting, finance and general business skills to problem analysis and resolution.
Goal 2: Critical Thinking and Communication Skills. Students will show a solid ability to think critically about accounting, finance and business issues and to communicate those issues effectively to interested parties by:
- 2.1: Demonstrating effective oral and written communication skills;
- 2.2: Demonstrating interpersonal skills necessary to function effectively as part of a team;
- 2.3: Demonstrating the ability to identify issues and solve problems through the use of sound analytical thinking; and
- 2.4: Demonstrating the ability to research issues, identify potential additional issues, and critically evaluate alternatives.