Gender and Women's Studies Program Checklist
___ GWST 280 - Sex and Gender in Global Perspectives (4)
___ GWST 380 - Gender Theory (4)
___ GWST 390 - Senior Capstone in Gender and Women's Studies (4)
___ GWST Experiential Learning Component (0-4)
The GWST experiential learning component reflects a long-standing tradition in women’s studies whereby students explore the intersections between their own lives and their academic coursework. Students must obtain prior approval of the project from the chair of GWST. Possible experiences include an internship or service learning with an intense gender theme or an Independent Learning project.
___ Five or six additional 4-credit courses (20 - 24 credits) for a total of 40 credits in GWST courses. Courses may be those choice-listed with the GWST program, or courses approved by the director of the GWST program. At least four major courses (16 credits), in addition to GWST 380 and 390, must be at the 300-level. No more than one of these courses (4 credits) can be an independent learning project. No more than three courses counting toward another major can be applied to the GWST major. Within these 20-24 credits, students must meet the following distribution requirement: at least two courses from Humanities/Fine Arts and at least two courses from Social Sciences/Natural Sciences.
___ Focus Statement. Upon application to the major in the sophomore year, each student will turn in, with the application form and transcript, a one-page focus statement in which the student reflects on the individual comprehensive learning goals for the major in GWST. This statement will direct the student's next two years of study and will assist GWST faculty members to more productively advise each major. The statement, which can be amended, should…
- indicate why the student chose Gender & Women’s Studies as a major;
- stipulate a particular focus in gender studies, e.g., Gender and the Economy, Gender and Global Perspectives, Gender and History, Gender and Psychology, Gender and Religion.
- write out a feasible four-year plan including the required components of the major and listing specific courses that support the stated focus.
- suggest possible internships and careers that emerge from the focus and are of interest to the student at the time of application to the major.
Checklist for minors in Gender and Women's Studies: 24 credits
●GWST 101, Introduction to Gender and Women's Studies (4) (required)
●At least 12 of the 24 credits must be from 300 level courses that have been approved for the minor (designated in each semester's course list);
● GWST 380, Approaches to Gender Theory (4) (required)
In order to ensure multi-disciplinarity of the minor, no more that 8 credits should be taken from the same department.