Strategic Planning and Policies
Committment to Sustainability 2013
As institutions of higher education, we strive to prepare students to be responsible citizens equipped to meet the social, ethical, local and global challenges of today. As Catholic, Benedictine institutions, we take seriously our responsibility to be stewards for the entire community of life on Earth now and into the future. To achieve these goals, we are dedicated to creating a culture of sustainability at College of Saint Benedict and Saint John's University.
To this end, we will continue to:
- Commit ourselves to the principles of sustainability: our actions should be ecologically sound, socially just, and economically viable today and for future generations
- Seek a leadership role exercising these principles in academics, operations and outreach
- Strive to reflect the virtues of humility, stability and frugality within our institutional practices
- Honor our dedication to the American College and University Presidents' Climate Commitment signed in 2007 and the Catholic Climate Covenant signed in 2012, and
- Endeavor to integrate sustainability into all facets of campus life.
We make this commitment on Earth Day, April 22, 2013.
MaryAnn Baenninger Michael Hemesath
College of Saint Benedict Saint John's University
The Sustainability Council oversees the development and implementation of the Sustainability Master Plan.
- View the Council's mission and charge for 2013-2014.
- View the current list of Council members.
- View the Master Plan.
- View the Progress Report.
- Year of Sustainability Final Report.
Sustainability Master Planning Process
The Council began plan development with a visioning process centered on the following question: Envision a campus where sustainability is the norm. What do you see? Through this process, the Council identified the following areas as priorities for inclusion in the master plan: responsible consumption, sustainable facilities, transport, food & dining, partnership and outreach, grounds, and curriculum. The Plan is now being developed - we anticipate its formal acceptance in the Fall 2012.
Director, CSB Sustainability
CSB Main G010