Discerning a Career in Sports Medicine or Exercise Science?
Assess your interests.
- Do you enjoy & participate in exercise as it relates to health, fitness or athletics?
- Are you interested in any of the specialty areas, career opportunities or fields or study mentioned.
- Have you enjoyed classes in high school or college such as physical fitness, health and wellness, or nutrition?
- Do you enjoy reading health and wellness magazines?
- Do you enjoy helping and working with people?
- When you read job opportunities and job descriptions in sports medicine or exercise science classifieds, do you get excited about the possibility of working in these environments?
Determine your career goals and the education requirements necessary to achieve them.
- Where do you see yourself in five years?
- Are you willing to commit to the necessary education, academic training and professional preparation that is required?
- Will you enjoy taking courses in anatomy and physiology, chemistry, physics, and math?
- How about courses such as exercise physiology, nutrition, behavior modification, kinesiology and exercise prescription?
- Do the colleges and universities that are of interest to you offer the coursework and preparation that will help you to achieve your goals?
Volunteer, observe and ask questions.
- Have you talked to people who currently work in your field in interest?
- Ask your instructors or guidance counselors to invite sports medicine or exercise science professionals to your school.
- Have you volunteered or observed at least 50 hours in various sports medicine or exercise science settings?
- If not, ask your teachers, guidance counselors, parents, relatives or friends to arrange for you the opportunity to shadow sports medicine and exercise science professionals.
Enroll in an "introductions to the profession" course.
- Most degree programs in sports medicine and exercise science have an "introduction to the profession" course.
- The course will provide much more information about the field.
- Most likely, you will be required to volunteer & observe at sports medicine and exercise science facilities in your area.
- You will also be able to ask lots of questions and get them answered by your sports medicine or exercise science professional.