Heating and Cooling:
- If the temperature in your room falls outside the normal range, this may mean that the heating/cooling system is not operating correctly. Normal thermostat set points are 68°F in the winter months and 75°F in the summer months, and normal temperature ranges are within ±3°F of that set point (i.e. 65°F to 71°F in the winter and 72°F to 78°F in the summer). If the temperature in your space falls outside the normal range, please submit a work order request to Physical Plant so we can investigate. Do not rely on opening windows or doors or other methods to “trick” the system. This will not solve the problem and may create additional energy waste.
- Use of space heaters and window air conditioning units is prohibited on campus unless approved by Physical Plant. See Saint John's Space Heater Policy and Space Heaters, Open Windows and Your Comfort for more information on how heating/cooling systems work and how these appliances affect the building systems.
- Dress appropriately for the season.
- During the heating season, open blinds, drapes and curtains during daylight hours to let sun in. Keep them closed during the evening and nighttime hours or if it's cloudy to keep the heat in.
- During the cooling season close blinds, drapes and curtains to block direct sun.
- Turn off unused or unneeded lights.
- Use natural lighting instead of electric lighting whenever possible.
- Try task lighting and reduce overhead lighting.
- If you have a desk lamp, make sure it uses a compact fluorescent lamp (CFL). CFLs are up to 75% more efficient than incandescent bulbs.
- If you plan to be away from your room or office for more than ten minutes, turn off your lights. If you see lights on in common spaces which are not being used such as meeting rooms or lounges, turn those lights off as well.
Windows and Doors:
- Keep windows and doors closed in heated and air conditioned areas. Refer to Space Heaters, Open Windows and Your Comfort to learn more.
- If you prop open doors for the purpose of moving equipment/furniture, please be sure to close them when done. Likewise, if you see doors propped open which shouldn't be, close them.
- Keep doors in shipping and receiving areas closed when not in use.
Appliances and Other Equipment:
- Purchase only energy-efficient models.
- Limit the number of appliances in dorm rooms, common areas, and offices to the minimum necessary.
- Turn off all energy consuming electronics, office equipment, and appliances when not in use, including televisions, copiers, refrigerators, venting hoods, etc.
- If you will be away from your computer for more than 15 minutes, turn off your monitor.
- If you will not be using your computer and printer for an extended period of time, such as evenings or weekends, shut them down.
- Please visit the IT Services intranet site for more information on green computing.
Report Energy Waste:
- If you see instances of energy waste, please report them to the Physical Plant office at extension 3306 or via e-mail at email@example.com.