Mission and Goals
Dedicated to Creating a Vibrant Campus Life
Student life is not only vital to the sense of community found at the College of Saint Benedict and Saint John's University, it is a fundamental part of the educational process! The various programs sponsored by Student Activities and Leadership Development (SALD) provide integral learning opportunities for students in order to enhance their overall educational experience.
CSB/SJU SALD supports the Competency Guide for College Student Leaders as developed by the National Association for Campus Activities and NASPA--Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education. The guide is based on the following competencies identified by the Council for the Advancement of Standards (CAS).
- Leadership Development
- Assessment and Evaluation
- Event Management
- Meaningful Interpersonal Relationships
- Social Responsibility
- Effective Communication
- Multicultural Competency
- Intellectual Growth
- Clarified Values
- Enhanced Self Esteem
- Realistic self-appraisal
- Healthy Behavior and Satisfying Lifestyles
- Spiritual Awareness
- Personal and Education Goals
- Career Choices
SALD adheres to the belief that successful student leaders will develop the ability to relate classroom learning to situations outside the classroom. Student leaders on the CSB/SJU campuses have unique experiences and learning opportunities that both increase the value of the collegiate experience and add to the ability to successfully navigate life after college. SALD will strive to maximize these experiences and opportunities by using The Competency Guide for College Student Leaders as a learning map for students who participate in student organizations, community service, campus employment, grass roots activities, leadership positions, followership positions, mentoring relationships with campus activities advisors, etc.
To achieve the department's goals, our employees will work to:
- encourage student involvement
- provide learning through experience
- strengthen respect for all persons
- help students work collaboratively with others
- promote all aspects of community life
- support programming, leadership development and club organization
- support students in their self-directed activities and events
- support gender-specific and co-educational programming
- show the need for recreation and leisure in a healthy lifestyle
- provide a balance between work and leisure
The following core values can be found throughout our department:
- Learning - We compliment and enhance the classroom experience.
- Service - We are dedicated to serving students and our broader community.
- Advocacy - We strive to be student advocates.
- Balance - We work for wellness and balance in our activities and events.
- Ethical Decision Making - We believe in honesty and integrity.
- Stewardship - We use resources as effectively and efficiently as possible.
- Community - We desire a supportive and inclusive office environment and campus community where everyone feels welcome.
Inspiring Leaders Certificate Program (ILCP)
Our leadership program seeks to prepare students for authentic leadership roles grounded in Benedictine Values.
Our mission is achieved through education, development and training in an extensive series of non-academic credit ILCP workshops, events and activities in partnership with CSB/SJU campus programs.
ILCP provides a unique values-based curriculum in leadership certification. The foundation of our program highlights five exemplary principles of leadership and the Benedictine Values which support them.
Levels of Leadership Certification
- Bronze Life Skills Certificate
- Silver Practicing Leadership Certificate
- Gold Personal Leadership Model Certificate
- Opal Intercultural Competency Certificate
- Sapphire Gender and Leadership Certificate
- Emerald Professional Development Certificate
- Diamond Civic Leadership Certificate
Student Activities and Leadership Development hosts a first-year orientation program designed to answer any questions that new students might have about the College of Saint Benedict/Saint John's University and to help you become familiar with the campus and campus life.
During Orientation First-Year women and men are led by amazing Student Orientation Leaders who take them through several fun days of learning about what it means to be Bennies and Johnnies. New students get to know other CSB/SJU students, become acquainted with the campuses, and attend programs that help them prepare for their first year at the College of Saint Benedict/Saint John's University.