SJU 2011 Philosophy Graduate - James Darcy
The Colorado Summer Seminar was an intensive philosophy boot camp of sorts. We had three hours of class every day, along with daily discussion groups and a couple of papers. It was a lot of work, but it was incredibly rewarding and enriching to eat, drink, and sleep philosophy for three weeks with a group of people who care just as deeply about the subject as you do. Read more.
The history of ideas is the best way to describe our approach to philosophy. And while we stress the fundamentals of philosophical thought by studying its history, we also pursue cutting edge issues around ethics, Asian thought, feminist philosophy, and philosophy of psychology.
We have some of the best and the brightest students in our major because they are attracted to our strengths: thinking and dialogue. If you think you can handle the truth, we can help you develop the mental tools you need to find it.
Philosophy professor Tony Cunningham organized a recreation of the famous fresco "School of Athens" on the steps of the Sacred Heart Chapel featuring faculty, staff, and students from CSB/SJU. Read the full story.
Opportunities & News
Rachel Maddow talks to David Letterman on the importance of philosophy.
Interested in a career in law? Consider a philosophy major. Philosophy majors score extremely well on the LSAT. Please contact Assistant Professor & Pre-Law Advisor Emily Esch if you have any questions.
CSB/SJU philosophers will present on Scholarship & Creativity Day (Wednesday, April 24) beginning at 1:00 pm in Quad 346 (Little Theatre) at SJU.
The date for the Annual Wiffleball game - philosophers vs. historians - has been set for Thursday, May 2, 2013, at St. John's.
The Philosophy Department is known for its excellent teaching. Four members of our department have won the Bob Spaeth and Mary Grell teaching awards, the highest per capita percentage of any department.
The Gadfly Newsletter:
Check this out...
- Philosophy majors fare well economically
- Philosophy TV
- Something your future employer might be thinking
- A computer scientist talks about why he studies philosophy in "From Technologist to Philosopher"
- A group made up of philosophy professors singing about Quine, Kant ("Synthesize the Manifold"), G.E. Moore, Utilitarianism, "We Can't Stop Doing Metaphysics," etc. View it here.
- More students choosing philosophy major.
- Have a philosophical question? Ask here.
- 2005 SJU Philosophy Graduate, Zach Vertin, in the news. Read all about it!
- From Omelets to Michelin Star... read about '89 SJU graduate Mark Sullivan's accomplishments and how his studies in philosophy help him keep grounded.