Belize: International Teaching Externship
Winter: Mid-January to Mid-February
Summer: Mid-May to Mid-June
The CSB/SJU International Teaching Externship (ITE) program is a 4-week international opportunity where students will have a chance to work as a teaching assistant and/or team teacher in one of several locations. The ITE program is a professional teaching experience you participate in following your teaching internship (student teaching) experience in the US. ITE partners with ProWorld to provide on-site support in Belize. It is an additional opportunity to put your teaching skills into use in an international environment as you work with an on-site cooperating teacher. Teaching internationally is a great way to set yourself apart from others on job applications. ITE will be a professional adventure you will never forget! View a PowerPoint Presentation on the ITE program.
Please see Education Department Chair, Professor Janet Grochowski, for more information.
The estmiated program fee is $3,000-$3,200. Each student will also be given a $500 stipend to offest program costs.
This price includes:
- Full room and board
- Onsite domestic transportation
- Airport pick up and drop off
- Travel insurance
- Cultural/adventure excursions
The Program Fee does not include:
- International Insurance and Student card
- Personal entertainment
Qualifications & Requirements
- Submit your ITE Application form before your teaching internship (student teaching).
Application Deadline for Summer 2013 is November 4th, 2012
Application Deadline for Winter 2014 is April 4th, 2013
- Your application will be reviewed by the ITE Committee. All applicants will be asked to complete an interview with the Committee.
- You will complete 16 weeks student teaching in the US.
- Participate in all pre-departure and re-entry orientation activities.
- You will be automatically registered for EDUC 368 (1-2 credits) during your teaching internship semester so there are no additional tuition charges.
- You must have a current passport at departure time.
- Students must have an ability to pay all travel expenses and personal expenses including room and board (Participants will receive a $500 stipend to help offset the program costs).
- Professor Janet Grochowski, PhD, Chair
- Allison Spenader, PhD
- Del Brobst, Director K-12, 5-12, 9-12 Teacher Candidates
- Melisa Dick, Director Elementary Teacher Candidates