Belize: International Teaching Externship
Winter: Mid-January to Mid-February
Summer: Mid-May to Mid-June
The CSB/SJU International Teaching Externship (ITE) program is a 3-4 week international opportunity where students will have a chance to work as a teaching assistant and/or team teacher in one of several locations. The ITE program is a professional teaching experience you participate in following your teaching internship (student teaching) experience in the US. ITE partners with ProWorld to provide on-site support in Belize. It is an additional opportunity to put your teaching skills into use in an international environment as you work with an on-site cooperating teacher. Teaching internationally is a great way to set yourself apart from others on job applications. ITE will be a professional adventure you will never forget!
The estmiated program cost is $3,000-$3,200. Each student will also be given a $500 stipend to offest program costs.
This estimated price includes:
- Full room and board
- Onsite domestic transportation
- Airport pick up and drop off
- Travel insurance
- Cultural/adventure excursions
The estimated price does not include:
- Airfare (estimated at $740-800)
- International Insurance and Student card ($25)
- Personal spending money
Qualifications & Requirements
- Submit your ITE Application form before your teaching internship (student teaching).
Application Deadline for Summer 2013 is November 15th, 2013
Application Deadline for Winter 2014 is April 15th, 2014
- Your application will be reviewed by the ITE Committee. All applicants will be asked to complete an interview with the Committee.
- You will complete 16 weeks student teaching in the US.
- Participate in all pre-departure and re-entry orientation activities.
- You will be automatically registered for EDUC 368 (1-2 credits) during your teaching internship semester so there are no additional tuition charges.
- You must have a current passport at departure time.
- Students must have an ability to pay all travel expenses and personal expenses including room and board (Participants will receive a $500 stipend to help offset the program costs).
- Professor Janet Grochowski, PhD, Chair
- Allison Spenader, PhD
- Del Brobst, Director K-12, 5-12, 9-12 Teacher Candidates
- Melisa Dick, Director Elementary Teacher Candidates
- Contact Janet Grochowski
- APPLY NOW! Applications are accepted on a space available basis until November 15, 2013 for May 2014, or April 15, 2014 for January 2015. Students are encouraged to apply early.
- ITE 2014 Program Brochure
- ITE Jan-Feb 2014 Information PowerPoint
- ITE May-June 2014 Information Powerpoint