Bosnia & Herzegovina: A Transitioning Society
Bosnia & Herzegovina
May 13 - 30, 2013
- Experience first-hand a country continuing to rebuild after the Balkan Conflict of the 1990's.
- Engage with Bennie and Johnnie alums living and working to make a difference in rebuilding their society.
- Witness how the various ethnic and religious groups interact to produce this intriguing culture.
- Explore the amazing natural beauty.
- Experience the warmth and hospitality of the local people.
- Meet with war survivors, political figures, religious leaders, local business executives, NGO's, and representatives from a variety of sectors.
- Partner this study abroad program with the eight-week Summer Global Practicum to put your new knowledge to work.
Bosnia & Herzegovina (BiH) has a fascinatingly complex and rich history. Its story of ethnic and religious diversity, conflicts, and continued reconciliation has produced a captivating people and place. CSB/SJU has enjoyed BiH students on our campuses for many years and these individuals have greatly enriched the experiences of our faculty, students and staff. We are excited to offer you, the next generation of Bennies and Johnnies, the opportunity to meet these alums and local experts. You will learn first-hand about the history, culture, religion, economics, politics and conflict issues the country has faced in the not very distant past and how they are dealing with the issues still today.
BiH is the heart shaped land that lies at the core of southeastern Europe. It is the place where eastern and western civilizations met and has produced a stunningly beautiful country with a vast array of landscapes, cultures, traditions and people.
Based in Mostar, Sarajevo and Banja Luka, the travel itinerary will be designed to explore the great diversity of people, history and landscapes. You will hear presentations from local experts on a variety of topics to help you better understand the places you are visiting.
This program is offered in partnership with Nesto Vise, is a non-governmental organization founded in 1997 by a group of young people who have experience working with civil society organizations throughout BiH. Nesto Vise, which translates as Something More, motivates positive changes in society by offering opportunities to individuals and groups for formal and informal education, networking, work, joint experiences and helping others, all in order to make competent and responsible leaders who, by believing in themselves and others, foster openness and belonging to their society. Their programs and projects have been implemented in over 70 local communities in BiH.
This program is designed to help students explore the depth and breadth of the history, life and culture in BiH. The variety of topics covered allow any student to participate in this program and apply the knowledge gained towards their major, minor and/or Common Curriculum experience at CSB/SJU. Individual learning plans will be arranged with students to assure that the academic coursework meets their needs.
This short-term study abroad program can be partnered with the Summer Global Practicum program offered through the Center for Global Education. This short-term study abroad program serves as the perfect introduction and cultural orientation to the eight-week internship experience. The Summer Global Practicum will challenge you to put the knowledge learned at CSB/SJU and in BiH to work in an NGO setting.
The estimated Program Fee is $2800 plus the cost of 2 CSB/SJU credits at the reduced summer tuition rate (approximately $520 per credit).
This program fee includes:
- Round-trip international airfare from Minneapolis to BiH
- Accommodation during the program
- Local transportation
- Course related excursions including: admission to museums, cultural attractions, and other events as outlined in the itinerary
- Program administrative costs and fees
- 2 meals per day
The Program Fee does not include:
- One meal per day (estimated at $6-$10 per meal)
- Personal spending money
- Activities, housing or transportation not associated with or included in the program
- 2 CSB/SJU credits at the reduced summer tuition rate (approximately $520 per credit)
All students who participate on this short-term study abroad program will be required to complete 2 credits worth of study. These will be arranged individually with the program director to fit their 4-year plan and specific academic needs. Students who participate in both this study abroad program and the Bosnia Summer Global Practicum are only required to take 2 credits total.
Students who elect to participate in both programs will also receive a discount on their Short-term study abroad program fee in the amount of $250.
During the program, students will stay in Bed & Breakfast style accommodations. Bedrooms will range from 2 to 4 students per room and breakfast is included with the stay.
Peggy Retka, Director of the Office for Education Abroad (OEA), will be leading this short-term program to BiH. Though this will be my first time in this region of the world, I have learned a great deal about the country through the students who have studied at CSB/SJU and our dear friends at Nesto Vise who will provide all of the on the ground support. My passion for international travel stems from my own experience in France and I look forward to exploring this new and fascinating place with you.