Progression in the Major
1. The Admissions/Progressions/Recruitment Committee of the Department will monitor student performance for potential progression and/or disciplinary concerns. Concerns will be communicated to the appropriate course coordinators and the department chairperson. All students are held responsible for meeting course and clinical requirements and ethical/professional standards of the Nursing Department.
2. Prerequisite and nursing major courses may be repeated one time. A student may repeat or withdraw for academic reasons, from no more than two courses in the nursing major.
3. Upper division nursing students are expected to achieve a minimum grade of "C" in each nursing course.
a. If a student receives a grade lower than a "C" in a nursing course, the course may be repeated one time.
b. Students may not enroll in sequential nursing courses until a passing grade of "C" is achieved in each prerequisite nursing course.
4. Nursing students must maintain a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 in all nursing courses and a passing or cumulative grade point average of 2.0 in all college courses. A student whose cumulative nursing grade point average falls below a 2.5 at the end of a semester will ordinarily be placed on academic probation for the following semester.
5. Academic dishonesty will not be tolerated. See the current Academic Catalog for institutional policies and procedures related to academic dishonesty. Also see the Academic Misconduct Policy.
6. Students who withdraw from the nursing major, for academic or personal reasons, need to make a formal written request to the Nursing Department for a leave of absence.
a. Students wishing to be reinstated in the nursing major must make a formal written request no later than the first day of the term prior to the term for which reinstatement is requested.
b. Students who have withdrawn from the college must first apply and be readmitted to the college.
c. All reinstatements to the major will be made on a space-available basis, and at the discretion of the faculty. Students are required to complete degree requirements for nursing within four years of admission to the major.
d. Exceptions may be made only for students who return after a formal leave of absence.