The McCarthy Center believes in the importance of experiential learning as a way to engage students in the many layers of the policy making process. Study tours bring students face-to-face with key players and organizations working on current policy issues like green urban planning, immigration, and rural development. If you have an idea for a future study tour (especially something local), please contact Stacy Penk at firstname.lastname@example.org with your idea.
From February 21-24, political science professor Matt Lindstrom led students on a study tour to the nation's capitol. Highlights of the experience include visits to the State Department and capitol building, as well as seminars with a wide range of alums, including Mark Kennedy. The group was also fortunate enough to meet with SJU grad and White House Chief of Staff Denis McDonough.
Group with Denis McDonough
- Washington, D.C. (February 2013)
- Washington, D.C. (2012)
- Art, Craft Brewing, and Monetary Policy (September 2012)
- Homelessness (November 2011)
- Education (April 2011)
- Transportation (February 2011)
- Minneapolis/St. Paul: Healthcare (2010)
- Washington D.C. (2007)
- Minnesota: Immigrant Communities (2007)
- Chicago: Green Urban Planning (2007)
- Iron Range (2006)