My Info and NewsAs of the fall semester of 2011, I am an assistant professor in the math department at the College of Saint Benedict/Saint John's University in central Minnesota.
From 2009-2011, I was a Riley scholar (post-doctoral) in the department of mathematics and computer science at Colorado College (CC).
- 2012 Fall - Math 120: Calculus 2
- More information is on the official course webpages:
- Section 01A - meets 8:00am-9:10pm on days 1,3,5 in HAB 015 (CSB)
- Section 03A - meets 9:40am-10:50am on days 1,3,5 in HAB 009 (CSB)
- on the CSB/SJU moodle system.
- 2012 Fall - Math 340: Number Theory
- More information is on the official course webpage.
- 2012 Spring - Math 120: Calculus 2 - Sections 01A and 02A
- 2012 Spring - Math 331: Algebraic Structures
- 2011 Fall - Math 119: Calculus 1 - Sections 02A and 03A
- 2011 Fall - Math 239: Linear Algebra - Section 02A
- 2011 - Summer Block A - Math 220: Linear Algebra
- 2011 - Block 7 - Math 251: Number theory
- 2011 - Block 5 - Math 126: Calculus 1
- 2010 - Block 4 - Math 129: Calculus 2
- 2010 - Block 3 - Math 110: Recognizing and using patterns in mathematics
- 2010 - Summer Block C - Math 117: Intro to Probability and Statistics
- 2010 - Summer Block B - Math 128: Calculus 2
- 2010 - Block 8 - Math 126: Calculus 1
- 2010 - Block 7 - Math 110: Math Explorations - foundations and philosophy of mathematics
- 2009 - Block 4 - Math 128: Calculus 2
- Algebraic number theory, specifically ranks of elliptic curves and abelian varieties.
- Cryptography, computational problems in the arithmetic of abelian varieties
- Mathematical logic, model theory and applications to number theory (at an amateur level)
- Inquiry-based learning (across various levels of mathematics)
- Mathematics educator preparation
- K-12 mathematics education
- Comparing local constants of ordinary elliptic curves in dihedral extensions [draft, or arXiv]
- Computing local constants for CM elliptic curves (joint with Lung Li as part of his senior year research project) [draft, or arXiv]
- (to appear in the Rocky Mountain Journal of Mathematics)
- Arithmetic local constants for abelian varieties with complex multiplication [draft]
- (in preparation)
- Sage worksheets: Interact Labs Template
- A general talk on congruent numbers and elliptic curves given to the Math Society at CSB/SJU in September 2011: pdf
- A general talk on Diophantine equations and number theory aimed at undergraduates given at CC in September 2009 (with thanks to Keith Conrad for partial use of his talk at PCMI 2009): pdf
- A general talk on elliptic curves (and the beginnings of my dissertation work) given at the UCI Math Graduate Student Colloquium (MGSC) in 2007: pdf
- A free open-source mathematics software system licensed under the GPL.
- E-print database for mathematics papers (and other disciplines).
- A document preparation system.
Past courses at Colorado College
CV and MoreCV: pdf (updated 09/05/2011)
Research Statement: pdf (updated 09/05/2011)
Teaching Philosophy: pdf (updated 09/05/2011)