Office: Quad 359A
Phone: (320) 363-2138
Place of Birth:
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
- BA - Southwest State University (Marshall, MN)
- MA - Indiana University
- PhD - Indiana University
- local and regional history
- 19th c. U.S.
- public history
- HIST 152: American Experience
- HIST 200: History Colloquium
- HIST 350: Early America
- HIST 366: Minnesota Regional History
- HIST 395: Historiography & Methods
I came to St. John's/St. Ben's on a one-year appointment in 1980 and am happily still here. I have remained interested in teaching throughout all of these years, especially when I can balance it with scholarly research and writing.
Fall 2007 Creating Minnesota: A History from the Inside Out (from Minnesota Historical Society Press) which is a new history of the state as well as a rethinking of what state history is and ought to be. A version of one chapter, "The State I'm In: Garrison Keillor, Hubert Humphrey, and Me" will appear in the fall issue of the Western Historical Quarterly.