Environmental Studies Major
The environmental studies major requires 53 credits.
NOTE: These requirements apply to students in the class of 2014 and later. Courses listed in BOLD are required.
GROUP ONE: Interdisciplinary Core - 17 credits required
- ENVR 150: Introduction to Environmental Studies (4 credits)
- ENVR 215: Learning Community/Sustainability Workshop (2 credits)
- ENVR 220: Environmental Methods & Measurement (2 credits)
- ENVR 320: Research Colloquium (4 credits)
- ENVR 395: Research Seminar (4 credits)
- ENVR 397: Internship (1 credit) - Internship Guidelines
GROUP TWO: Natural Science - 12 credits required
- ENVR 175: Environmental Science I: Earth Systems (4 credits)
- ENVR 275: Environmental Science II: Humans in the Environment (4 credits)
- ENVR 300: Topics in Environmental Studies - Natural Science (4 credits)
- ENVR 300G: Science of Global Climate Change (4 credits)
- BIOL 334: General Ecology (4 credits)
- BIOL 337: Aquatic Ecology (4 credits)
MAJOR ELECTIVES 24 credits required
Choose 3 courses from Group Three, 1 course from Group Four, plus 2 additional courses from either Group Three, Four, or Five.
GROUP THREE: Interdisciplinary Environmental Studies Electives - 12 -20 credits required
- ENVR 225: Food, Gender, and the Environment (GE)(4 credits)
- ENVR 300: Topics in Environmental Studies - Interdisciplinary (4 credits)
- ENVR 310: Environmental Geography (4 credits)
- ENVR 311: Introduction to Geographic Information Systems (4 credits)
- ENVR 321: Sustainable Agriculture (4 credits)
- ENVR 335: Environmental Education Pedagogy (4 credits)
GROUP FOUR: Disciplinary Humanities/Fine Arts Electives - 4-12 credits required
- ENVR 200A: Environmental Art/Architecture (4 credits)
- ENVR 300: Topics in Environmental Studies - Humanities/Fine Arts (4 credits)
- ENVR 300E: Envisioning Nature (4 credits)
- COMM 309: Environmental Rhetoric (4 credits)
- HIST 360: U.S. Environmental History (4 credits)
- PHIL 322: Environmental Ethics (4 credits)
- THEO 343: Theology and the Environment (4 credits)
GROUP FIVE: Disciplinary Social Science Electives - 0-8 credits required
- ENVR 300: Topics in Environmental Studies - Social Science (4 credits)
- ENVR 300I: Environmental Anthropolgoy (4 credits)
- POLS 330: Environmental Politics/Policy (4 credits)
- SOCI 338: World Populations (4 credits)
- PCST 354: Global Environmental Politics (4 credits)
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FOR MAJORS:
- Students cannot take more than TWO 200-level courses in Groups Three through Four for credit toward the major.
- ENVR 200 and ENVR 300 Topics courses may be offered in any group (Two - Five).
- Additional courses not listed here may qualify for inclusion in any group as courses are developed. See your academic adviser with questions about specific courses.
- AP and IB test scores and other natural science courses will not be accepted for the ENVR 175/275 environmental science course sequence.