Careers in English
"Quite honestly, I think the liberal arts education was more important than any technical education (he received)," Vande Hei said of his days at CSB and SJU. "Some physics students have asked me, 'Of your education, what did you use the most?' I told them my English - my ability to communicate with people.
Even in the Army, you have to write a lot of things. Your reputation can be established based on how you communicate, and how people perceive you."
Lt. Col. Mark Vande Hei, NASA astronaut and 1989 SJU graduate in Physics
The full story can be read in full here.
Before Graduation: Internships
Consider some of the many internship opportunities available through CSB/SJU.
After Graduation: Career Pathways
- Non-Profit Sector Careers
- Governmental Sector Careers
- Business and Corporate Sector Careers
- Publishing, Journalism, and Freelance Writing
- Law and Other Legal Careers
- Medicine and Other Health Professions
- Teaching, Library Science, and Education Administration
- Opportunities Abroad
- Graduate School
English Department Resources
- Check out former English faculty member Steven Thomas' blog on "English Majors, Careers, Graduate Schools, and the Problem of Ideology" for some thought-provoking ideas about English Careers.
- The English Department owns the book Great Jobs for English Majors. Check with Bev Radaich in Quad 355A at Saint John's or Richarda N28 at Saint Ben's to borrow a copy of the book.