Role of Faculty
Chronological View of Service Learning Experience
The following is a brief list of information requested of faculty by the Service Learning Department. All information contributes to the success of the service learning experience and the integrity of the program.
Before semester begins:
- Date, time, and location of initial presentation.
- Requests for Fall Semester- due mid-late April.
- Requests for Spring Semester- due mid-late November.
- If your course requires a service learning option, this must be submitted with course offerings and designated in the Registration catalogue. This is not required if service learning is optional.
- Final confirmation of community partners should be given by professor. If offering service learning in a course that is taught yearly, the Service Learning department will assume that community partners will remain the same unless otherwise notified by the professor.
- Dates requesting the Service Learning Department and/or community partners to facilitate and/or attend reflection discussions.
- Syllabus. Updated syllabi are requested each semester.
Beginning of semester
- Distribute a master list of student placements the class session after information forms are returned to Service Learning Department. We request that students contact our department with any discrepancies.
Note- The Service Learning Department makes every attempt to place students with their first option. This is not possible in every case. Students need to be aware that by ranking placements, they are indicating that they are willing to work with a second or third choice as well.
- Communicate with the Service Learning Department of any issues in students starting and contacting placements.
During the semester
- If requesting our department to assist with or facilitate reflection discussions, provide department with appropriate questions or topics that you would like addressed. Requested a week prior to discussion.
- Notify department of any issues or concerns of student experiences.
End of semester
- Last day for students to post hours on-line is midnight of the last day of the semester.
- Service learning student evaluations to be completed in class prior to or by the last day of semester.