How Do I Apply?
Please be prepaired to submit the following via the online application to the right:
- A cover letter explaining student interest and type of civic engagement work they desire, including potential placement sites if possible. We encourage all students to research and submit ideas for site placements. This should explain why there is a need for this type of civic engagement. Letters must also indicate a willingness and ability to attend bi-monthly seminars on campus and discuss their fellowship at a public forum to be held in the fall. In addition, the cover letter must state that students will not have any other employment if awarded this fellowship.
- Resume indicating relevant paid and unpaid work/volunteer experiences, relevant class or other training, conferences or workshops attended, honors and awards, public talks or media involvement, and other skills such as languages or computer skills;
- Two letters of recommendation; Please send this link to whom you have chosen to write these letters.
- Essay exploring your service and leadership experience (500 words or less);
- Current unofficial transcript;
- OPTIONAL Brookings Program: 1-page essay outlining interest in a community engagement placement with Children's Museum of South Dakota OR ULC United Living Community, both located in Brookings, SD. These sites will have a housing option at no charge to the students. Museum: Help inspire children to learn and grow by providing high-quality learning experiences that last a lifetime. Opportunities exist in the following areas: education, exhibits, programming and events, and guest services. Applicants should have strong desire to work with young children, early childhood through age twelve. United Living Center: Plan and provide intergenerational programming. Support the mission by providing quality care and an educational environment that promotes the physical, intellectual, social, and emotional development of each child. Intergenerational setting includes activities where the residents of the nursing home and independent living facilities interact with the children.
- Interview with co-directors of the fellowship (following review of application, students will be notified) planning, and public relations.