From verdant green rice fields in the north to the fascinating bustle of the Mekong Delta in the south, Vietnam is a small country of great natural beauty, a complex history and ancient traditions. It boasts sandy beaches, sub-tropical forests and mountain ranges; cosmopolitan cities and charming fishing villages; ancient temples and modern skyscrapers. The following is a teaching program in Vietnam that is approved by the Center for Global Education.
NEW WORLD LANGUAGE CENTER, My Tho, Vietnam
The New World Language Center in My Tho City (located 45 minutes from Ho Chi Minh City) was established in 2008 with a mission to help the city's residents to improve their English and connect with others through the English language. The Center employs 25 teachers to teach English as a Second Language to students ranging from age 5 to adult.
In addition to English language courses, New World provides preparatory courses for the IELTS, TOEFL and TOEIC exams. Each summer, New World offers scholarships to more than 20 students to study abroad in Australia, Singapore and the United States. The Center also provides free English lessons at the public schools in My Tho and trains newly graduated teachers from Tien Giang University.
Position Description & Eligibility
Full-time teaching of English and American culture
- Duration: 1-year commitment is preferred because it usually takes people a couple of months to settle in and understand what teaching requires (lesson planning, etc.). Contract is renewable.
- Eligibility: Vietnamese Department of Education requires that candidates must have a bachelor's degree and a TESOL/TEFL certification.
Orientation: The interns will be given an orientation to My Tho City and to teaching at the New World Center. Initially, teachers work in the classroom alongside a mentor teacher, but soon begin teaching their own classes.
- Monthly Salary: Approximately $700/month, depending on qualifications.
- Housing: For people with a 1-year contract, accomodation is provided with air conditioning and a shared kitchen.
- Visa: Invitation letter provided. Application and any required physical health/health exam fees not covered.
- Transportation: Ground transportation from airport is provided. International air transportation partially reimbursed through a possible bonus after one year of satisfactory job performance.
- Teaching contact hours are around 20 hours a week.
- Employees will also be offered the opportunity to participate in Vietnamese culture and language classes.
- New international teachers are paired up with a local teacher from New World who acts as their "buddy" in helping them acclimate to My Tho and Vietnamese culture/society.
Interested candidates should complete and submit their application materials to the Center for Global Education. Applications are accepted and considered on a rolling basis. Applicants are encouraged to apply early for first consideration.
Academic Manager, New World
Ron Hawkins began his time in Cambodia through his work at an HIV orphanage. Attached is the link to his eBook in which he looks at the current fad of orphanage tourism and the creation of an orphan culture http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CR0N1JI
Lindsay Simoncavage taught at New World and has kept a blog on her time in My Tho: http://www.romartraveler.com/ROMAR07