Thank you for your commitment to this ministry.
- On the day you are serving at a 6 p.m. mass, please arrive at 5:40 p.m. to check in at the table in the gathering place.
- If you are serving for a 10:30 a.m. mass, please arrive at 10:10 a.m. to check in also at the table in the gathering place.
- If you are unable to be a Eucharistic minister on the day(s) that you are scheduled, it is your responsibility to find your own substitute. Once you have found a substitute, please call a member of the liturgy staff and let us know who your substitute is, at ext. 5062 or ext. 5603.
- If you are serving at the 10:30 a.m. mass, please call Sr. Elaine Schroeder (ext. 7030) with substitutes.
Before the Eucharist
- Sign-in in the gathering place by 5:40 pm
- Select an EM position around the altar
At Communion Time
1. During the Sign of Peace, go to the vessels table and take either the plate or cup (whichever you have been assigned) and carry it to the Sanctuary--try to walk up two by two in an orderly and dignified fashion
2. Chalice ministers stand in a circle around the altar near their selected position and wait to have their chalices filled
3. The Eucharistic minister assigned to use the Presiders chalice takes a plate and places it on the altar and steps away from the altar.
4. Plate ministers should place their plates on the side of the altar and wait for presider to fill them with the consecrated bread. When their plate is filled, they should pick it up and join the circle in their designated place around the altar
5. When the presider says "Behold the Lamb of God..." turn to face the assembly, holding up your cup or plate for all to see. After the prayer is done, walk down the steps to your designated place
6. Your plate holder will meet you and hold the plate on the left side of you while you distribute communion.
7. After the Presider prays the final prayer at the altar and picks up his plate and goes to distribute communion the Eucharistic Minister who is assigned the presiders chalice now goes to the altar and takes the chalice and goes to the assigned place to distribute the precious blood.
8. Look at the communicant as you are making the proclamation "The Body of Christ"/"The Blood of Christ"
9. After everyone in the assembly has received communion, return your vessel to the side table on the north west side of chapel. A Eucharistic Minister with the consecrated bread and wine will be standing on the side of the altar. All Eucharistic Ministers come forward to receive communion.
After the Eucharist
- Bring the vessels from the side table to the sacristy to be washed.
- Consume, in silence, any Consecrated wine or bread that is left over.
- Help with the washing and drying of the sacred vessels.
- Cups and plates should be rinsed first and the water poured down the left (east) drain. This is called the sacrarium or holy space. They may then be washed normally.
- The water used to wash/rinse the vessels is poured down the right (west) drain.
- Hang towels in sacristy closet.
After the Eucharist
Bring the vessels from the side table to the sacristy to be washed.
Consume, in silence, any Consecrated wine or bread that is left over
Help with the washing and drying of the sacred vessels
Cups and plates should be rinsed first and the water poured down the left (east) drain this is called the sacrarium or holy space. Then they may be washed normally.
The water used to wash/rinse the vessels is poured down the right (west) drain
Hang towels in sacristy closet