March 1st-9th, 2014
Modeled after the CSB May Term trip to Ecuador, ABE offers a Spring Break trip to work with the indigenous community of Yambiro. We are able to continue the CSB/SJU relationship with the community in Yambiro as we work with them during our Spring Break. Last year's ABE trip spent the majority of the week working and playing with the children. They helped with recess, assisted in the classrooms, and held their own after school program where they taught Math and English.
"Everything we did was amazing! I enjoyed all the time spent with the group whether it meant the service work, traveling part and even the late night reflections." - 2013 Participant
What to Expect:
- Cost: Each ABE trip costs $325. International trips have the added cost of flights. In the past flights to Ecuador have cost $1,171 (2012) and $925.70 (2013).
- Travel: The group will fly from Minneapolis to Quito, Ecuador and then take a bus to Otavalo. Each day they will bus to Yambiro for work.
- Lodging: Participants will stay in La Posada del Quinde in Otavalo
- Food: Meals are provided by the hotel and include some traditional local dishes.
- Work: Work will be varied depending on the needs of the site. Work will be done with the indigenous community of Yambiro. In the past participants have assisted the profesoras in the mornings with their students, built fences around gardens, and painted the monkey bars and swing sets. In the afternoons they taught English and Math to the children.
- Extra Fun: There are many fun things to do during your stay including hiking a waterfall or a sunken valcano, visiting a bird park, visiting the food and craft markets, and getting a cuy cleansing! The hotel staff is very helpful in assisting you with directions. Participants should bring extra money for taxis to these locations and to pay for the cost of these fun activities!
- Focus: Volunteering with the indigenous community of Yambiro in education, crafts, women's co-op, book drive, health, building, agriculture, etc.
Please note: $100 due with acceptance of a position!
Any questions about this trip can be directed to Alternative Break Experiences at email@example.com
Special Points of Interest:
- Spanish immersion
- Cultural diversity
- Social Justice
- Environmental Issues and Education
- English Tutoring
- Math Tutoring
From Past Participants:
"I learned that compassion, hospitality, curiosity, and an eagerness to learn will always bring people together."' ~ 2013 Participant
"It really changed my life. The people of Ecuador are unlike any I have ever met. They are so warm and welcoming to everyone. The kids are amazing and they have a way of making you feel so needed and wanted. The work we did was so rewarding." ~ 2013 Participant